Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Considering Options and Discouragement

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by DocYuki, Mar 10, 2007.

1. DocYuki

DocYuki The Gamer Student
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Okay.

I'm an Emergency Medicine hopeful in the medical class of 2011 who has been using his free-time to research the field as best as he can. I've volunteered, shadowed, talked to techs, paramedics, etc. But I've also invested copious amounts of time (weep) reading ER blogs.

Most of what I have read has been very encouraging, but I read the negative stuff too, like the way I'll still read negative movie reviews for a movie I really want to see. Any specialty has its downs, but one site in particular made me depressed to the point of popping Prozac (not literally, but almost).

This nut right here has a gigantic website devoted to EM. I've spent a lot of time on it and have to say it has shaken not only my prospective specialty plans (EM) but also my medicine plans period. I made the deeply personal decision to go into medicine awhile back and hold to that (plus there is absolutely nothing else I see myself even remotely doing). But I'm not sure how to interpret this guy. Something seems strangely unsettling about him, but at the same time shockingly truthful.

I don't know. One burnt-out doc shouldn't be enough to slow one down, but anecdotal evidence and research is important to one when considering what he/she'll do for the rest of his/her life. Increasing governmental regulation, endless law-suits, dangerous patients, decreasing compensation, night-shifts that ruin your circadian rhythm to hell? I've heard of these negatives before, but not like this guy puts it. :eek:

Maybe he's just out to sell his books?

Edit: After getting a good night's rest, I read this guy's stuff and it suddenly seems dripping with self-conceited sell-out material. Yuck. What's he trying to prove?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. polygonal

polygonal Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

After reading that guy’s description of himself, do you really think that's a good source of information? :rolleyes:

3. NinerNiner999

NinerNiner999 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    A few exerpts from this website:

"Note to radio, television, newspaper, and other publishing professionals: I am always willing to do media interviews, and I will gladly assist you in providing information for stories you're developing. If you send me an e-mail and you don't hear from me, please contact me again. I've had a few computer crashes (thanks, Bill Gates) that wiped out my e-mail inbox."

"Today's interviewer is Ingrid, an 11th grade student "

"I graduated in the top 1% of my class in medical school, and was such a shoo-in for an ER residency position (the most coveted residency at that time) that I was offered an under-the-table deal because they wanted to ensure that no other hospital lured me away. The director of my residency program once commented that I was the smartest resident they ever had, and one of my former bosses told me that I was the smartest doctor he ever met."

Knowledgable, open for comment, and humble. I would definitely listen to everything this guy says about our field. Ingrid did. :thumbup:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Janders

Janders Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

You already identified him as a nut.

You know those movie reviewers that you hate; that write horrible, useless, egotistical reviews that insult the intelligence not only of the readers but also of the paper it was printed on? Treat him like one of those: Ignore him.

5. ERMudPhud

ERMudPhud Back for a visit
    10+ Year Member

There was another thread devoted to his toolishness a year or two back

6. Jeff698

Jeff698 EM/EMS nerd
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    World class tool.

Can you say Axis II?

Take care,
    Jeff

7. docB

docB Chronically painful
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Oh man! I missed the previous thread mentioned by MudPhud and didn't read this whole thread before I clicked the link and now I've contributed another hit to this guy's site. I feel dirty and stupid.

8. Bent Aub

10+ Year Member

For a man so accomplished and prestigious, (top 1% of his class and all), he sure hasn't published alot in pubmed, namely 0. (I can't believe I took the time to look that up.)

9. Bent Aub

10+ Year Member

Double post, Sorry!

No postpad intended.

10. SoCuteMD

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You'd think if he were such an amazing EM doc he would know that it's now called the "Emergency Department" and that people are no longer ER doctors but rather "Emergency Medicine Practitioners."

11. BMW19

BMW19 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    And let me guess all the OB/GYN and Surgery blogs you have researched came with glowing recommendations for their specialties and not disgruntled banter? All peachy Keen as we say in GA. The OB/GYN that recently lectured to us about her salary being less than her malpractice payments!! The only way she is surviving is her hospital pays her malpractice! Medicine is changing but we shall overcome!!! Ok that is my optomist rant for the day. Now back to reality

BMW-

12. Flopotomist

Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I stopped looking at his website when I saw him selling a magic diet that involved no excercise, or change in eating habits.

Oh.. and he is a sex-expert too - he will sell you advice via his book here too.

Tool.

13. Jeff698

Jeff698 EM/EMS nerd
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just because this guy is so full of himself as to be full of sh&t as well, I have a feeling he's not practicing anywhere. Not that this prooves anything, but he isn't an ACEP member. I'm not sure of which state he 'practices' in so it's difficult to see if he's licensed anywhere.

Take care,
    Jeff

14. Tired Pigeon

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    He's probably a gunner med student trying to increase his odds of matching into EM by discouraging others from applying.

15. OP
    OP
    DocYuki

DocYuki The Gamer Student
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Or at least Emergency Physicians (EPs) :)

16. tkim

tkim 10 cc's cordrazine
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    http://www.aaem.org/messages/0305a.php

He says the same thing about himself - everywhere.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/pr...e=UTF8&n=283155&s=books&qid=1173653551&sr=1-2

"About the Author
    After graduating from Wayne State University School of Medicine second in a class of 256, Dr. Pezzi pursued advanced training in emergency medicine, exercise physiology, nutrition, physics, and engineering. He was one of the few people in the country to be elected to Alpha Omega Alpha after the second year of medical school. Dr. Pezzi is currently practicing medicine and is also an inventor, with over 400 inventions to date. Being naturally shy, he has sweated his way through dozens of television, radio, and newspaper interviews--and he's now so acclimated to the trauma that his conditioned fear responses are almost gone. He has developed a new technique of fractional multiplication, in spite of his lifelong aversion to math. He has beaten Bill Gates, an acknowledged math and computer genius who is Chairman of Microsoft, Inc. and the richest man in the world, on a test of mathematical ability and logic. Dr. Pezzi is also the innovator of several medical procedures. His brother has called him "the absent-minded Professor," a characterization that is not without merit. For example, while a college student at Michigan State University, he once went into the wrong room to take a final exam. Even though he was not enrolled in the class, he scored 147 out of 150, easily the highest score achieved by any of the hundreds of students taking the test. As a sophomore in college, he decided that his future was in the CIA, not medicine, so he skipped most of organic chemistry. Three days before the final, he changed his mind, crammed, and received a 4.0 for the course. In spite of seriously misjudging the optimal strategy for taking the Medical College Aptitude Test (MCAT), he scored astronomically. A government official once claimed that Dr. Pezzi achieved the highest score ever attained on an IQ test administered nationwide, although Pezzi dismisses this as disingenuous pandering.

He enjoys snowmobiling, riding his Sea-Doo, inventing, thinking, shopping, baking, dating, bicycling, exercising, watching movies, traveling, working in his shop, shooting, being outdoors, reading, and of course writing."

17. DeadCactus

DeadCactus SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Take everything this man says to heart. He is obiously Chuck Norris in disguise.

In fact, the part about cramming for O-Chem the day before the test and getting an A? That's not true. He simply showed up to the test, roundhouse kicked the test paper, and thereby transformed the papers atomic structure such as to turn it into a gigantic, solid 14ct gold figurine in the shape of an "A++". There was a third "+", but the force of the kick propeled it through the heart of the man administering the test...

18. stud247

Removed

Pre-Medical
  19. dragonfly99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    He may (or may not) have a really high IQ, but reading some of his multiple web pages, I am concerned he seems likely have a narcissistic personality disorder. Some of his inventions do look interesting, but I wouldn't want him as my personal physician. There is a web page where he is offering 2nd opinions to patients...I think it's highly risky, legally speaking, to be offering medical advice over the internet. I'd think it also might put him on the wrong side of the law if he offers advice to someone in a state where he doesn't have a medical license.

20. danzman

danzman The Ace of Spades
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I cannot believe I have never heard of this guy before. He is nuts! I spent the last 20 min on his website, it’s amazing. This guy’s ADD is insane.

If you google his name another SDN thread comes up, he actually created a false account and started defending himself in a crazy ADD rant!

Must tell the world….

21. GeneralVeers

GeneralVeers Globus Hystericus
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I like his "science of sex" book.

This guy is a tool, and should not be representing our profession. He also sucks at making websites.

http://www.sexualtips.net/index.htm

22. beyond all hope

beyond all hope Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

the ocean gets Chuck Norrised.

Blatant attempt to restart a random CN thread. I miss the foolishness.

23. willow18

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  24. willow18

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    And following up on my most illuminating post above... This guy is so far out, that I can't decide whether this is a well created character/joke or real. The number of websites and amount of personal detail he posts makes me think the latter. I'm thinking this guy has multiple personality disorder, among some other issues. Oh, and his "interview" with the "11th grader Ingrid" is full of sexually-charged stories. Quite the topic to be discussing with an "11th grader". Anyway, pretty interesting to see such blatant mental disease. And Pezz, you'll be happy to know you're definitely in the top 1% of mental cases I've seen in my young life. Pretty creepy.

25. charlie murphy

Pre-Medical

this is awsome:laugh:

26. DoctorMedic

Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    "However, if you are good at what you do, you could save the lives of people who would have gone to their graves had an average ER doctor treated them. Now that's "rewarding.

all i can say is WOW def Axis II narcissism.