Considering postbacc..... is it worth it, and what is the best way?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lucy_less

Reaction score
Hello! I am graduating this summer from a great university with a great GPA, but my degree is in the humanities. I have regrets about not doing premed -- I started out wanting to do it, had worked extensively in medical jobs and as a scribe and had a lot of personal experience with the field as well. But I struggled with science classes, which were weed-outs at my university, partly due to chronic medical problems as well as mental health challenges.

Now that I am graduating and looking at jobs, I am realizing medicine is the only job I would really be excited about (besides doing a PhD in the humanities, but unfortunately there are no career prospects there). I considered nursing school, but would really love to be a physician so that you can manage a case for yourself and engage in medical decision-making at a high level. I know the field inside and out and am confident in what it entails. I love the lifestyle of working with patients and of seeing new things and new cases every day. I feel most at-home in hospitals and clinical settings and like this is where I am supposed to be. I find the corporate world soul-crushing by contrast.

However, I am concerned about whether the investment as a non-traditional student is worth it. I am graduating undergrad now at 24, nearly 25. I have two options for a postbacc -- attend a yearlong postbacc program full-time, or work full-time and take premed classes in the evenings. I am fortunate enough that my family would be able and willing to pay for me to attend a yearlong postbacc. However, there is a long history of chaos and abuse there and in order to do that, I would need to remain on my family's health insurance and financially dependent, which would prevent me from obtaining adequate mental health (or medical, to a degree) treatment. In undergrad, I struggled with science classes due to focus/executive function challenges and depression, and I don't know how successful I would be in a postbacc if I could not obtain treatment for those first.

On the other hand, if I work full-time and take premed classes in the evening, my understanding is it would take around 4 years to complete the postbacc and matriculate at med school. That would have me starting at around 29 years old and not finishing until 33. As a woman, I am interested in having a family someday and am concerned I would have to do that before med school in order to get through the classes well enough to get a decent residency. That would delay med school even more, and put me in a situation where in my mid-thirties I would need to either take on ~200k+ of debt or again take money from my family which prolongs and complicates our uncomfortable relationship. (Due to my parents' income bracket I would never be eligible for aid in med school).

I just don't know if it is worth a 7+ year investment to even get to the point of being a resident. I could stomach a 5 year investment maybe, but don't know how to get through a postbacc without being able to access healthcare and being this involved with my family. And I don't think I can stomach the loans for a FT postbacc on top of med school.

To complicate the matter, I think I would basically have to totally give up my interests in writing and the humanities if I pursue this because I would need to work in consulting/data science for at least a few years to make enough money to pull off a postbacc (whether during, or before to save up). On the other hand, if I worked in consulting/data science full time at least I could still write on the side. I don't think I can have time for that during this rigorous process of pursuing medical school. As much as I am passionate about medicine, I am not sure if it would be worth totally giving up my other passions versus being able to continue them if I maintained a high-paying day job that I could obtain right away (i.e. data/consulting) instead of being a science student for 7+ more years.

Sorry this is a lot of information, but I'm just trying to figure out if this is a route that is worth it or if I should stop now, and any advice or experiences from non-traditional students (especially those with multiple interests). Thank you for any insights or opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest that you start volunteering with patients or get some shadowing done to see if this is the right path for you. Right now all I see is "Medicine is an interesting job, and I don't like other options"

In undergrad, I struggled with science classes due to focus/executive function challenges and depression, and I don't know how successful I would be in a postbacc if I could not obtain treatment for those first.

You will need to get your mental health issues under firm control first. Full stop

Reactions: 1 user
I apparently wasn't clear enough, I already spent months and months volunteering and additionally worked in a hospital for over a year

Members don't see this ad :)
Btw your family income bracket is not a factor . You don’t even have to fill them out in FAFSA for majority of schools. You are considered an independent adult, and you’ll be eligible for all same loans as all other students.

You mentioned the corporate world is soul crushing, but you're graduating this year. Have you worked in the corporate world as an intern or co-op or anything? I have, and it's not that bad, but I'd much rather pursue medicine.

I would take the loans and get the pre reqs knocked out. That's what I'm doing right now. It's a little different for me though, since I don't want to work as an engineer and my interests don't have anything to do with work. Also, your interests may change, just three years ago I didn't care about hiking and backpacking, and now they're some of my favorite things.