Considering Reapplying. Is it worthwhile? Any advice would be helpful

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Killer12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to 7 MD schools September of my senior year of undergrad at UNC-G. I ended up interviewing at ECU, UNC, and OSU. I got waitlisted and eventually rejected at UNC and OSU. I graduated in May '14 and spent most of the year trying to stay on my feet and and find a decent job to support myself. I worked at a summer camp and then a minimum wage job for a few months until I finally landed a decent job with the Red Cross about a month ago. Now that I'm in a stable position and have some money to afford the process, I'm considering reapplying to MD and DO schools.

I know I haven't greatly improved my application with graduate school or a crazy life experience, so would it be worth my time and money to reapply this year? Its still my dream to become a doctor, but all I have to offer this year is much more maturity. However, I know my first go 'round I applied late and didn't consider DO schools, so that is where I'm hoping for a better chance.

If I do reapply, I plan to apply to mostly DO schools, maybe a few MD schools. Should I make my EDP school one that I already interviewed at or completely different one?

B.A. in Biology, minor in Chemistry
GPA - 3.77
MCAT - 32
No Research Experience (employed throughout college to support myself)
Volunteer - 100 hours in a local hospital, 50+ at church events, 20+ after school tutoring, 50+ teaching music to kids
Employment - Music Teacher, Resident Advisor, Camp Counselor, Golf Course Technician, Lab Technician

Members don't see this ad.

Your ECs are rather cookie cutter and your stats are, well, ~average. You had several interviews at your state schools, and got shut out, so you need on improving your interview skills and your app for MD schools.

How have you improved since your interview at the schools you got rejected from???? They'll want to see big improvements in your app.

If I do reapply, I plan to apply to mostly DO schools, maybe a few MD schools.
Sound plan. Start shadowing a DO stat. getting a DO LOR will be very helpful as well. Your stats are great for any DO school, including mine. You are still competitive for low-tier schools like Tulane, Wake, U Miami, Rosy F, etc. Just improve the Ecs and apply witht he best possible app. and work on the interview skills!

If possible, ask the Admissions Deans from the schools you got rejected from for feedback on why you were rejected.

Try a completely different one.
Should I make my EDP school one that I already interviewed at or completely different one?

Thank you for the helpful response. One more question, when I start requesting new LOR's can I use the same ones for both applications (MD and DO) or do I need unique letters for each application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the helpful response. One more question, when I start requesting new LOR's can I use the same ones for both applications (MD and DO) or do I need unique letters for each application?

When I applied I used the same letters with one exception. For DO schools where I was applying, I included a letter from a DO physician. I hope that helps.

Your ECs are rather cookie cutter and your stats are, well, ~average. You had several interviews at your state schools, and got shut out, so you need on improving your interview skills and your app for MD schools.

How have you improved since your interview at the schools you got rejected from???? They'll want to see big improvements in your app.

If I do reapply, I plan to apply to mostly DO schools, maybe a few MD schools.
Sound plan. Start shadowing a DO stat. getting a DO LOR will be very helpful as well. Your stats are great for any DO school, including mine. You are still competitive for low-tier schools like Tulane, Wake, U Miami, Rosy F, etc. Just improve the Ecs and apply witht he best possible app. and work on the interview skills!

If possible, ask the Admissions Deans from the schools you got rejected from for feedback on why you were rejected.

Try a completely different one.
Should I make my EDP school one that I already interviewed at or completely different one?
U Miami is NOT a low tier MD school...

Don't take it personally. Their LizzyM avg is 70,and look at the ranges for their 10-90th %iles. They are in striking distance for lower stat students. OP is a viable candidate for them, whatever their tier. The concept of tiers is mostly BS, but useful in suggesting targets.

I have a high opinion of UMiami and always recommend it to even Harvard caliber applicants.

U Miami is NOT a low tier MD school...

Don't take it personally. Their LizzyM avg is 70,and look at the ranges for their 10-90th %iles. They are in striking distance for lower stat students. OP is a viable candidate for them, whatever their tier. The concept of tiers is mostly BS, but useful in suggesting targets.

I have a high opinion of UMiami and always recommend it to even Harvard caliber applicants.
I don't know how they calculate LizzyM score, but I would not call a school with 33 average MCAT (according to MSAR) a low tier school.

As I said, don't take it personally. 33 is close to avg for MD schools.
That is why it should not be low tier... Not taking it personal since I am not a UMiami student. Just wanted to make the correction for OP's benefit...

Last edited:
you stats is fine for MD school actually. You need to apply to 18-25 schools.

try to get more volunteering, and clinical shadowing. You volunteering hour is not enough.
make sure your committee letter/LORs are supportive and say good things about you.

If I were in your position, I would apply for drexel, albany, nymc, NJMS, RWJ. VCU. loyola, Arizona, Penn state, Temple. Focus on apply to school in midwest.

I applied to 7 MD schools

B.A. in Biology, minor in Chemistry
GPA - 3.77
MCAT - 32
No Research Experience (employed throughout college to support myself)
Volunteer - 100 hours in a local hospital, 50+ at church events, 20+ after school tutoring, 50+ teaching music to kids
Employment - Music Teacher, Resident Advisor, Camp Counselor, Golf Course Technician, Lab Technician

you stats is fine for MD school actually. You need to apply to 18-25 schools.

try to get more volunteering, and clinical shadowing. You volunteering hour is not enough.
make sure your committee letter/LORs are supportive and say good things about you.

If I were in your position, I would apply for drexel, albany, nymc, NJMS, RWJ. VCU. loyola, Arizona, Penn state, Temple. Focus on apply to school in midwest.
Those schools are not in the Midwest. Also the nj schools have a strong in state bias

what I meant is that the OP need to apply to some schools in the mid-west in addition to those schools I listed above. With a 3.7 gpa/32 mcat, a good application strategy can lead to an MD acceptance.