Considering sleep fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lafamilia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently finishing my first year of PCCM fellowship and am interested in hearing from any Pulm/CC/Sleep physicians about the day to day practice. I’ve always enjoyed my sleep rotations in residency and am seriously considering the additional year of fellowship. For those that incorporate Sleep patients in your practice, do you enjoy the mix with also seeing bread and butter Pulm? Or if you are the only BC PCCM sleep doc, does your patient panel consist entirely of OSA/insomnia/COPD-OSA overlap cases? Is there a significant difference in salary between practicing PCCM and PCCM Sleep? Any and all thoughts are appreciated, thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

it would certainly help you get certain more “geographically favorable “ hosptial based academic positions better due to your versatility.

In private practice now I can manage OSA just fine . I just cannot perform my own sleep studies and interpret reports for billing as I am not sleep board certified . I utilize the services of another sleep center and the I use the reports to order cpap or bipap and then I can manage those conditions fine enough with the patient . Hence you do not need to be sleep BC to see and manage OSA patients . Being BC in sleep for private practice would allow you an opportunity to Have your own sleep center .

Reactions: 1 user