considering texas only

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nardini46

DO
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey what do you guys think of my app
see http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=16771

My overall gpa is good but my BCPM is bad

Heres my BCPM break down
chem 1 B
chem 2 A
chem lab A

Bio 1 A
Bio 2 A
Bio Lab B

Ochem 1 B
Ochem 2 A (estimate)
Ochem lab B (estimate)

Physics 1 A
Physics 2 A
Physics lab A

Calculus 1 B
Calculus 2 C (this is the only C i have on my record)

Im taking Ochem 2 and Ochem lab right now.
Im a senior right now but I plan on graduating with a BA Biology degree in May 2010. Im Indian American, born in India. With a 33 MCAT do you think I have a chance??
Also what can I improve?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey what do you guys think of my app
see http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=16771

My overall gpa is good but my BCPM is bad

Heres my BCPM break down
chem 1 B
chem 2 A
chem lab A

Bio 1 A
Bio 2 A
Bio Lab B

Ochem 1 B
Ochem 2 A (estimate)
Ochem lab B (estimate)

Physics 1 A
Physics 2 A
Physics lab A

Calculus 1 B
Calculus 2 C (this is the only C i have on my record)

Im taking Ochem 2 and Ochem lab right now.
Im a senior right now but I plan on graduating with a BA Biology degree in May 2010. Im Indian American, born in India. With a 33 MCAT do you think I have a chance??
Also what can I improve?

Take your mcat earlier so you can get your stuff in early, also you may want to apply to OU up north as well.

The good news is that the schools you want to go to (Texas state schools) are by far your best chance. The bad news is that, even then, your stats are kind of low (esp. your science GPA). The other bad news is that taking your MCAT for the first time in August is late.

Given those two drawbacks, you may want to wait to apply for another year. Do as well as you possibly can in your remaining science classes - it'll look especially good if you take a few upper-level classes and excel in them. If you get a 33+ on the MCAT, you'll probably be okay there; if not, retake it (no later than May of next year). Crank up the volunteer hours (especially your hospital volunteer hours).

If you want to start med school ASAP and are willing to possibly deal with the financial and emotional issues associated with this hellish process twice, apply this year. You might make it. Otherwise, take a year off, get a job or something, and enjoy your last year of freedom :). Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this actually a solid plan, considering that Texas schools admit something like 90% instate and they only charge about 10k/year in tuition and your numbers are about average with their admitted students.

How exactly do you get the 3.00 BCPM on your MDApps? Assuming 3 hours for a lecture class and 1 hour for a lab, I'm getting a 3.5 :confused:

I think with a 33 you'd have a decent shot; where I'm a little worried is that it looks like you only have ~80 hours of clinical experience, without any research or other significant activities to suggest why you haven't spent more time in the hospital. Is there any other activities that you've done that aren't listed on your MDApps?

Yeah, I was going to say...that doesn't look like a 3.0 BCPM GPA. Do you have any D's or F's that you retook? Something doesn't add up.

something doesn't add up either. did you retake some courses? with A's and B's and 1 C it should be higher than that.