c

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that being away from home and loved ones can be scary and not what you want. I have a huge family and we are all extremely close. With that, I left when I was 17 to join the military and now I’m leaving again for medical school. Why? Because that’s how you grow. You need to leave and chase your dreams. If you leave and don’t like it, well suck it up and move back once you’re an attending. DO NOT ruin your chances of becoming a doctor because you’re afraid of leaving.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey SDN,

Long time lurker. So basically, I'm a non trad, having finished my pre reqs post school in a DIY post bacc. I have a low sGPA (3.3) but high MCAT (515) and solid ECs. I applied to a number of DO programs and got into 2 and waitlisted at a program very close to home.

As its become more apparent that Im going to go to the closer of my two acceptances, about a 4 hour plane ride from my home and family, I'm sort of freaking out about the distance. I just can't see myself being successful so far from them. My parents are old and I have young family members nearby who mean the world to me. I've had anxiety/depression and honestly am feeling now that idk if I can succeed without my support network. Even if they were an 8 hour drive away I think I could stomach it. But a plane ride? I can't see it now and frankly I'm pretty upset about my prospects.

The DO school I'm planning on attending now has great board scores and a good match list. I think I could maybe match near home when all is said and done (aiming for PC). I did like the school and the location was okay, though not what I'm used to. The distance is just killing me right now.

As a result of all this nonsense I'm seriously considering doing an SMP with linkage or even just a general app enhancer and applying again to my local DO and MD schools. This is not a DO vs. MD rant at all. If I end up off the waitlist at my local DO or matriculate there next year I'd be thrilled. I'm really struggling thinking of leaving, and I don't think I'll be able to do it when push comes to shove honestly.

Looking for some honest opinions about my situation. I get it, if I wasn't sure I'd go somewhere I shouldn't have applied. But truth be told I really thought I was fine to go anywhere. Things have changed in the past year since my app and now I just can't see myself leaving.

You remind me of another guy on here who's giving up his acceptance for a post-bacc. It is a big mistake. You are spending more money on something just because it's difficult for you to leave home. I know it's tough, but eventually we all have to go our own ways.

Becoming a Physician is about making sacrifices with friends and family. People need to know this. You don't have a 100% chance of matching into a residency that you want, and you will have to move. Do you want to be in the same position again, giving up big opportunities because it is difficult to leave home?

People would KILL to be in your position, and I don't think you should throw that away. You need to follow your dreams and become a Physician if that's truly what you want to do.

Life sucks. We all have to make hard decisions. We all have to grow up. There's going to be a lot of stress being a Physician, and just becoming one in itself. You need to learn coping mechanisms, and can't always expect to fall back on your family.

In my opinion, do NOT give up a Medical School acceptance for a post-bacc.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.