Consolidation: What Happened to Those Low Interest Rates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobA

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS4 about to start residency, and I'm thinking about consolidating my 10 or so student loans. Since I have >250K in debt, I'd obviously like to get the lowest rate possible.

When I started this whole medical school journey in 2004, I was thinking I'd someday be able to consolidate my loans into a low-interest rate loan. Something with a 2-4% interest rate. Pre-2006 I consolidated some loans and got an interest rate of about 3.5%. I vaguely remember being told that the student loan consolidation system changed in 2006 and that those low rates aren't possible anymore. Is that true?

Is there anyway I can consolidate my remaining loans which have a weighted average interest rate of 6.25% into a lower interest consolidation loan? My My Grad PLUS loans have a gaudy 8.5% interest rate. That's crazy! What happened to all those low-interest rate student loans? I can't find them!

Was it something that happened in 2006 that made them go away forever? Have they just dried up as a result of the credit crunch? Should I wait and consolidate at a later time?

Members don't see this ad.

Was it something that happened in 2006 that made them go away forever?

Yes. Congress passed a law that fixed interest rates on student loans. Low consolidation interest rates are gone forever.

I'd love to hear some ideas on consolidation as well any older people got any advice

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a weighted average of your current interest rates. It amazes me that people have missed this occuring. It's not new news.

It's a weighted average of your current interest rates. It amazes me that people have missed this occuring. It's not new news.

I remember just remember something bad happening, but not sure exactly what it was.

Why would congress pass a law like that?

It's nuts that I can get a 30year fixed mortgage with an interest rate of 4.75% but the weighted average of my loans is 6.25%.

Why the heck did congress make a law like that?

I'm sure there are plenty of banks out there that would love to have me kicking them 4% every year for the rest of my life. Why make a law preventing this?