Construction of special trays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nirisu

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I learnt that we should allocate adequate space for the impression materials while fabricating the spacial tray. And the amount of space adequate for different mpressin materials differ .
So my question is, do we alter the thickness of the spacer to the desired amount of space needed for the material? If not ,how it should be done? Can anyone please help?

Members don't see this ad.

it's been a while since I made my own custom tray, but you could lay down a layer of baseplate wax over the arch (and palate as needed) to get the thickness you want. I would then cover the wax with vaseline or something to keep the Triad material from sticking. I wouldn't stress too much about altering the thickness for the material. Whether you're using polysulfide (coe-flex) or PVS, neither of them needs to be very thick. I would also consider building in tissue stops in the design of the tray.

Reactions: 1 user
it's been a while since I made my own custom tray, but you could lay down a layer of baseplate wax over the arch (and palate as needed) to get the thickness you want. I would then cover the wax with vaseline or something to keep the Triad material from sticking. I wouldn't stress too much about altering the thickness for the material. Whether you're using polysulfide (coe-flex) or PVS, neither of them needs to be very thick. I would also consider building in tissue stops in the design of the tray.
Thank you so much!

Usually for dentures they had us do two sheets of baseplate, one sheet would probably work as well! Like Lemon said, I wouldn't worry about changing for each material.

Reactions: 1 users