All Branch Topic (ABT) Constructive Service Credit for Prior Commissioned Service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cooperd0g

Something witty goes here.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was a prior line officer with both active and reserve time before going to USUHS. Understanding the military's service credit becomes a little more complicated with the reserve time as many people misinterpret the definitions, specifically the meaning of Active Status. This is how it actually works.

The Navy uses OPNAVINST 1120.4B, but it draws from the following documents. I'm sure the other services reinvent the wheel also.

DODINST 6000.13 is titled Medical Manpower and Personnel.

Part 6.1 states "The entry grade credit to be awarded shall equal the sum of constructive service credit and prior commissioned service credit (other than as a commissioned warrant officer) ..." - Constructive credit is the education credit: 4 years of medical or dental school counts day for day as 4 years of time towards rank and why people commission as an O-3 without any prior time.

Part 6.1.1.2 states "Service on active duty or in an active status as a commissioned officer in any of the Uniformed Services, but not in the corps or professional specialty in which being appointed, shall be awarded one-half day of credit for each day served in the case of individuals seeking an original appointment as a health professions officer." - This is why line time is only given at half instead of day for day.

Enclosure 2 is Definitions. E2.1.4 defines Active Status as "The status of a Reserve commissioned officer, other than a commissioned warrant officer, who is not in the inactive Army National Guard or the Air National Guard, on an inactive status list, or in the Retired Reserve." - This means that unless you are specifically in those categories then you are considered Active Status. People on IRR and drilling reservists are considered Active Status.

DODINST 131203.P is titled Service Credit for Commissioned Officers. This document specifically says it does not apply to health professions officers as that is covered in DODINST 6000.13. However, it does discuss time that is creditable is anything considered Active Status and references Title 10 of the US Code. I discuss it only because it is a second document that references Active Status as creditable time.

Title 10 USC is the ultimate authority. Section 101(d)(4) defines Active Status exactly as Enclosure 2 of DODINST 6000.13.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if there was something in particular that made you post this; however, it could certainly come in handy for folks.

The IRR portion is the part that usually becomes the issue for folks at the ground level personnel offices. It took me 6+ years and a Board of Corrections for Naval Records adjudication to get mine corrected.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I have met a few medical students recently looking for guidance on this. I seem to be the go to guy in my hospital. So I figured it was worth putting out here as well.