Constructive summers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lhereIaml

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently under the shadowing program at the NJ RWJ hospital. I'm trying to plan out and be efficient in my time in hospital experience. My question is, Do you think it looks more appealing on my resume if i continue a lot of hospital volunteer work or somehow get a partime job at the hospital doing in minor roles? My reasoning is that alot of high school kids do hospital work so maybe if i get a part time job it might make me look more dedicated?

Members don't see this ad.

So long as you're interacting with patients, I would say you're better off working in the hospital than volunteering.

I gave up volunteering at hospitals long ago. I was in one for a whole year and gained absolutely no valuable experience. Yeah, I can list it on my apps but it was a waste of my valuable time.
I instead got a job as a medical assistant (vitaling, doing labs, etc) last summer and I loved it. I actually had to have contact with patients and I got to DO stuff. The doctors would let me go in with them to their consultations and even let me examine some patients myself (for certain abnormalities, etc, after they told me how). It was a good summer. :thumbup: :D
I don't go to the volunteering anymore and instead tutor ESL to recent immigrants free of cost. It's something I'm good at (native Spanish speaker) and I enjoy my students. It's a whole lot more rewarding.