Consults- Memorable/Dismal/Ridiculous/Unique

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
...2. ER consult: attending 100% sure a kid with RLQ pain, nl wbc, h/o Ladds procedure for malrotation had acute appendicitis ..... I just starred at him for a minute and shook my head
Just to clarify what I think you intended to say....

Consult in which the requesting attending was certain the patient had acute appendicitis. However, the patient had already had an appendectomy as an integral part of Ladd's procedure for malrotation.

On another note, kids are notorious for having acute appendicitis with a normal WBC.... so, not as important as might think.

Members don't see this ad.

oh am i glad this thread came back

so my most recent disaster consults:

1. "Free Air" on a patient with an XR denonstrating and read by radiologist as "No evidence of pneumoperitoneum"

2. ER consult: attending 100% sure a kid with RLQ pain, nl wbc, h/o Ladds procedure for malrotation had acute appendicitis ..... I just starred at him for a minute and shook my head

Why would you expect an ER physician to know the surgical details of a Ladds?This is not something routinely taught in medical school and in his specialty. This was your opportunity to educate him/her.

Reactions: 1 user
Just to clarify what I think you intended to say....

Consult in which the requesting attending was certain the patient had acute appendicitis. However, the patient had already had an appendectomy as an integral part of Ladd's procedure for malrotation.

On another note, kids are notorious for having acute appendicitis with a normal WBC.... so, not as important as might think.

my point was that he didnt have an appendix and his cecum was in the LLQ, not right, but thanks for clarifying

Why would you expect an ER physician to know the surgical details of a Ladds?This is not something routinely taught in medical school and in his specialty. This was your opportunity to educate him/her.

the sad part is that the attending even looked up the patients op note (which stated that they removed the appendix) and googled ladd's procedure b/c he admitted he didnt know what it was, and even after both of those things, still though the kid had appendicitis?? This was also in a pediatric ER, not a regular adult ER. And I did take that opportunity to educate the ER doc, but at 3am in the morning that was difficult to muster

Members don't see this ad :)
Well played sir, worth the bump.

Out of curiosity what was her approx. current weight?

She was about 350-ish, but her height was like 4 foot nothing. She qualified by BMI for sure.....it just seems funny to explain risk stratification for an elective procedure to a bunch of cardiologists. Just looking at this patient made me short of breath. Maybe a gastric bypass looks like minor surgery when you have people in imminent cardiac arrest laying around everywhere, i don't know....

...I just starred at him for a minute and shook my head
...This was your opportunity to educate him/her.
I must disagree with WS. This was the time to ~starr and shake. Definately the time to ~starr for sure, might have gone overboard with the shake. It would be a shame to miss the opportunity to have "starred". Must have been in Boston.:smuggrin:

Called for a consult by the ED as the chief on the acute care gen surg service:
"We have your patient Mr. "Smith" down here and he has Sh%t coming out of his wound. It is all over everything....there is clearly something very wrong...you need to come see him immediately! There is crap pouring out!!"

BTW...Mr. "Smith" was a well-known alcoholic at our institution that frequently came in as a trauma for "found down intoxicated."

I go to examine the patient and find him with a soft abdomen and a well-functioning ileostomy.

I explained that the patient's abdominal exam was benign and that based on his ileostomy function I highly doubted that he was obstructed.

The ED resident was very angry...."But there's sh&t everywhere!!!"
I explained that being dirty and malodorous didn't require surgery.:laugh:

On call at the VA this weekend, has already led to two calls from a single intern who I almost throttled through the phone at 1AM:

1) partial SBO in a guy who has a huge ventral hernia from ischemic colitis after rAAA from 10 years ago. Normal WBC, normal VS, KUB actually looks better than it did 2 days ago when he left the ER AMA. Reason for consult? We had seen him in clinic. Kicker? He's refusing an NG and getting dressed to leave AMA. Again.

2) 45 minutes later: patient admitted to medicine for cellulitits at 2pm. WBC trending down with a single dose of antibiotics. cellulitis resolving. Some genius decides to calculate a LRINAC score (predicts NSTI) in the patient at 1AM, gets an elevated number. Consults general surgery. Patient has a blister on his foot from where his shoe rubs. Not NSTI.

Also at the VA, but a year ago (when I was, notably, 39 3/7 pregnant). Consulted on a medicine patient for NSTI on a Sunday. Get there, it's real deal NSTI. Patient has just completed his chicken fried steak lunch. I look in the order system:

1210 PM: Stat general surgery consult for NSTI
1211 PM: late tray for lunch.

Thanks dudes. He aspirated on induction.

Reactions: 1 users
Is calculating Laboratory Risk Indicator for Necrotizing Fasciitis a common thing? If it is high, does surgery automatically get consulted, and if so, what do we do, just continue to monitor, serial labs, or something else? I'm not sure what the utility of checking someone's sodium/Hgb/Cr/CRP is. Are we going to the OR based on lab values? At my institution when we get a consult for possible nec fasc we get imaging to look for soft tissue gas, which is a late finding but something that allows you to decide on debridement.

Anyway here's one I had a few years ago:
ER: Got a consult. Kid with MR hasn't had a BM in a week. CT shows no obstruction. FOS.
GS: What's the rectal exam like? (passive aggressiveness)
ER: We ordered a bunch of enemas.
GS: Why don't you call after they've been given?
ER: You guys usually like to be called for this.
GS: For ileus?
ER: Yup.
GS: ... (I was an intern, didn't want to get in trouble with overly anal retentive ped surgeons) ok I'll go check it out.

I stall for a while because I'm in no mood to check out some constipated kid. Eventually I make my way down when I get another page.

ER: Hey we gave that kid an enema and he pooped everywhere. Cancel the consult.
GS: Thanks.

What are your experiences with consults for ileus? Or partial SBO? Neither are necessarily problems that require taking the pt to the OR, but it seems like GI problems like this tend to be punted to surgery instead of medicine.

...calculate a LRINAC score (predicts NSTI)...
...calculating Laboratory Risk Indicator for Necrotizing Fasciitis a common thing?...
I am curious about this as well. When did it become in vogue? I don't recall it being part of the ABS exam or even to review courses ~ 2years ago. I never use it and have not been using it. Is it some university SICU & ID attendings' pet project/area of research?

I am curious about this as well. When did it become in vogue? I don't recall it being part of the ABS exam or even to review courses ~ 2years ago. I never use it and have not been using it. Is it some university SICU & ID attendings' pet project/area of research?
Seems like it originated from a 2004 study using multiple regression. They probably picked some independent predictors of nec fasc, did some statistical magic and came up with a score threshold.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15241098

Seems like it originated from a 2004 study using multiple regression. They probably picked some independent predictors of nec fasc, did some statistical magic and came up with a score threshold.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15241098
Great, Singapore, 2004.... I never used it, discussed it, or saw it applied through GSurgery residency. Didn't see it used in the boards just a few years ago... So, is it something now standard? Are residents routinely using and/or discussing it when taking consults and/or rounding in SICU? Or, are residents getting called for consults with a medicine resident at the other end of the line using a formula that "we" don't use? Is it part of ABSITE? Is it now showing up in review courses? I am being serious cause it really is fairly unusual to me. New things happen in residency all the time. I would be curious to know if this is now a component of the basic science being learned.

Based on the post here, a blister gave a result suggestive of nec-fasc??? I remember C-reactive protein all the rage for awhile too. But, non-specific.

Interesting... apparently they use C-reactive protein as well... not sure I would order that on every patient with an infection.

http://www.sepeap.org/archivos/pdf/9859.pdf

Last edited:
So, I am looking at this LRINEC scoring thing. It does appear to be the pet project of this pair of researchers out of Singapore. It looks like it was a retrospective analysis of 89 patients. I'm not sure I missed anything in not learning about it and would definately not be basing my care on this article... even if the authors ran around the world and got some mileage out of it.

Found this:

FoundOnLine said:
...This retrospective study demonstrated a sensitivity of 80% but specificity of only 57% at a cut-off level of [greater than or equal to] 6. This suggests that while the LRINEC score may be useful in assessing patients with severe soft tissue infections, the cut-off point of [greater than or equal to] 6 is not sufficiently robust to decide further treatment...

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I am looking at this LRINEC scoring thing. It does appear to be the pet project of this pair of researchers out of Singapore. It looks like it was a retrospective analysis of 89 patients. I'm not sure I missed anything in not learning about it and would definately not be basing my care on this article... even if the authors ran around the world and got some mileage out of it.

Found this:

ive never heard of this scoring system, never used it

Is calculating Laboratory Risk Indicator for Necrotizing Fasciitis a common thing? If it is high, does surgery automatically get consulted, and if so, what do we do, just continue to monitor, serial labs, or something else? I'm not sure what the utility of checking someone's sodium/Hgb/Cr/CRP is. Are we going to the OR based on lab values? At my institution when we get a consult for possible nec fasc we get imaging to look for soft tissue gas, which is a late finding but something that allows you to decide on debridement.

We get a lot of nec fasc and I have never seen that scoring system used. We just get consulted anytime someone thinks something looks like it might be. Usually it means someone with a particularly ugly/fulminant cellulitis, or someone with a sodium 130 or less with any kind of cellulitis. Sometimes we look at it and decide it isn't based on clinical impression, sometimes we do a fascial biopsy, sometimes we just operate. Cant' imagine just relying on soft tissue gas. We have had several people taken immediately just based on clinical impression with normal x rays who died despite good debridements

one significant problem i see with the paper on nec fasc: the authors did not cross-validate their scoring system on another sample. if you are developing a scoring system using logistic regression, you will have a group of patients you use to find correlations / define your model. then you will apply the model to a second group of patients to validate it. from what i can tell, they fit their model to one group of patients (with a small sample size) and never validated their model by testing a second group of patients. of course the model will "fit" the group in which it was calculated ... there is just no way of knowing how generalizeable it is without cross-validating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-validation_(statistics)

having only an MPH background without clinical experience, i would be wary of using their scoring system. perhaps i am missing something here, and someone with a better background in statistics/epi can weigh in...

why is low sodium an important risk factor? is there massive third spacing causing hyponatremia similar to chf / liver failure?

looked around on access surgery and didn't see low sodium as an important lab finding ...

sorry, there are ways to cross-validate on a single sample using various statistical methods--'jack-knifing,' cutting the dataset in half (using one half for a 'training set' and the other to validate, others, others, others--i didn't see any of those methods mentioned in the paper ...

Is calculating Laboratory Risk Indicator for Necrotizing Fasciitis a common thing? If it is high, does surgery automatically get consulted, and if so, what do we do, just continue to monitor, serial labs, or something else? I'm not sure what the utility of checking someone's sodium/Hgb/Cr/CRP is. Are we going to the OR based on lab values?

What are your experiences with consults for ileus? Or partial SBO? Neither are necessarily problems that require taking the pt to the OR, but it seems like GI problems like this tend to be punted to surgery instead of medicine.

I think the numbers that matter the most are sodium, CRP, and WBC. I'll try to find the paper that talked about these 3 factors being the most predictive of NSTI.

FYI the JACS had a review article within the last 2 years that talked about diagnosis and management of NSTI....it's worth a look. It just seems like your current approach might end up being "too little too late" for some patients.

When it comes to Nec Fasc, we have to be very aggressive, IMHO.

As far as small bowel obstructions, they are usually managed by surgery here, either as the primary team or as a consultant. I'm not sure I trust IM docs to treat these appropriately....JAD and I sort of disagree on this, if I remember correctly.

I think the numbers that matter the most are sodium, CRP, and WBC. I'll try to find the paper that talked about these 3 factors being the most predictive of NSTI.

FYI the JACS had a review article within the last 2 years that talked about diagnosis and management of NSTI....it's worth a look. It just seems like your current approach might end up being "too little too late" for some patients.

When it comes to Nec Fasc, we have to be very aggressive, IMHO.
Thanks for the lead. Here's what I've found:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19228540
http://www.journalacs.org/article/S1072-7515(08)01546-9/abstract

A retrospective study of 20 patients found that fascial thickening
on CT had 80% sensitivity for diagnosis of NSTI

MRI has a sensitivity of 90% to 100%, but specificity of
only 50% to 85% for detecting NSTI.

In a retrospective study, Wall and colleagues found that
patients with necrotizing infection had either a white blood
cell count >15,400cells/mm3
or a sodium level <135
mmol/L on admission to the hospital. These values have a
80% positive and negative predictive value. Wong and colleagues
described a score that they call the “Laboratory
Risk Indicator For Necrotizing Fasciitis” based on admission studies obtained in 89 patients with NSTI. A
score >6 has a positive predictive value of 92% and negative
predictive value of 96% for NSTI. They also showed that the
positive predictive value increases as the score increases and the
probability of disease is >75% if the laboratory risk indicator
for necrotizing fasciitis score is >7.To date, the laboratory risk
indicator for necrotizing fasciitis score remains unvalidated in
larger, prospective studies.

The gold standard modality for diagnosis of NSTI remains operative exploration.

another review:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19665084

That's the one I was thinking of. Thanks for finding it.

Another article that stresses WBC and Sodium:

Wall DB, et al. Objective criteria may assist in distinguishing necrotizing fasciitis from nonnecrotizing soft tissue infection. Am J Surg 2000;179:17-21. (PMID: 10737571)

Burn literature recommendations:

Endorf FW et al. Necrotizing soft tissue infections: clinical guidelines. Journal of Burn Care and Research. Volume 30 (5): 769-776.

If anyone uses General Surgery Audio Digest, Dr. Jurkovich also has a good review of NSTI: Volume 55, issue 10.

I guess in the end, there's no perfect test, but lab values plus clinical suspicion should help us make the tough decision.

You posted article:
...The gold standard modality for diagnosis of NSTI remains operative exploration...
That is where I stood on the matter. It doesn't seem to have changed all that much.

That is where I stood on the matter. It doesn't seem to have changed all that much.

The only reason I know about LRINEC score is that medicine uses it to get me out of bed at night, even though they whisper "Nec Fasc" and I have to come see it...I don't use it at all. If it looks like NSTI, or like it could be NSTI, it goes to the OR. In my head, I use sodium, Cr and WBC as rough guides to how bad it could be, but they would never change my operative plan.

The only reason I know about LRINEC score is that medicine uses it to get me out of bed at night, even though they whisper "Nec Fasc" and I have to come see it...I don't use it at all. If it looks like NSTI, or like it could be NSTI, it goes to the OR. In my head, I use sodium, Cr and WBC as rough guides to how bad it could be, but they would never change my operative plan.
I usually just look at the wound, look at the patient and call the attending.... woops, that's me!:smuggrin:

If i got a call quoting some odd numbers like that I would be confused and ask them to tell me in English what their consult was for.... tell me nec fasc and not LRINEC!

At least you get a consult using some kind of "criteria". We get paged all the time by the ER for nec fasc consults when they get xrays of diabetic foot wounds and see air anywhere (including at the site of the wound, skin folds, etc). We usually diagnose clinically - pain out of proportion to lesion, tenderness extending beyond borders. Sodium, WMB and Cr give you a little more information, but there's only one way to really find out what's going on.

My recent favorite consult ... 3 AM Sunday from MS4 in ED.

64F with recently diagnosed 5.2 cm AAA coming in with hypertensive urgency and "change in vascular exam". The MS4 breathlesssly tells me he can't palpate DP pulses and thinks "her AAA has ruptured!" Meanwhile she's totally hemodynamically stable, no abdominal pain and has palpable femoral and PT pulses.

Of course she was seen 2 weeks ago as a vascular consult for the AAA, at which time it's documented she does have DP pulses. But it is also documented that she is DNR/DNI and adamantly would not want any surgical intervention for any reason.

I go see the patient and get an earful from her that she doesn't want to talk to another damn vascular surgeon. I somewhow convince her just to let me feel for pulses. She has bounding bilateral DP pulses. :mad:

I go find the ED attending. The MS4 called me without talking to his resident or attending first! He thought he would be "pro-active and get vascular involved early". Needless to say both the ED attending and I took him to task for that one.

The MS4 called me without talking to his resident or attending first! He thought he would be "pro-active and get vascular involved early". Needless to say both the ED attending and I took him to task for that one.

Wow, that is crazy ballsy for a MS4 to call a consultant at 3 AM without first running it by a supervising physician.

I think that Hospitalists and ED physicians are single handedly consulting their way out of a Job. I saw a consult the other day on a patient admitted to the hospitalist service. When I finished writing up the consult and went to put it in the chart I noticed that the patient had a consult for every single chronic medical issue (endo for controlled type 2 diabetes, cards for HTN, etc.). Why then do we even need hospitalists? If they are going to just blindly consult everybody and not manage anything, then just hire a PA to figure out every little issue the patient has and consult the appropriate people. Why do we need a physician to basically triage patients?

... consult ... 3 AM Sunday from MS4 in ED.

...find the ED attending. The MS4 called me without talking to his resident or attending first! He thought he would be "pro-active and get vascular involved early"...
Wow, that is crazy ballsy for a MS4 to call a consultant at 3 AM without first running it by a supervising physician.
Actually, not really. I don't know if I know anyone at the ER in question. But, my general experience has been thus. The ED attendings push for a very informal and friendly atmosphere. Where I trained, it was not uncommon for ED division/department (~entire department) to party and get smack faced drunk with the entire ED residency. The ED attendings would insist on first name only. Then, with students, they would encourage "pro-active" conduct. "Pro-active" was like the ED's version of the passive aggressive excuse used by nurses.... "I 'm a patient advocate". I keenly recall that word, "pro-active" being thrown around a dozen times a night during general surgery residency. The ED would very commonly back the independent consult calling on the part of MS4 and would usually have their back if it got a consultant's hairs all in a fro. However, invariably a real foolishy and agregious consult would occur like the one described... Then, I saw the ED back away and leave the MS4 to take the hit for the team.

I think that Hospitalists and ED physicians are single handedly consulting their way out of a Job. I saw a consult the other day on a patient admitted to the hospitalist service. When I finished writing up the consult and went to put it in the chart I noticed that the patient had a consult for every single chronic medical issue (endo for controlled type 2 diabetes, cards for HTN, etc.). Why then do we even need hospitalists? If they are going to just blindly consult everybody and not manage anything, then just hire a PA to figure out every little issue the patient has and consult the appropriate people. Why do we need a physician to basically triage patients?

You'd think so, right? The problem is the medical system is constructed to allow this by people who don't practice medicine. Hospitalists (really, primary care physicians) are supposed to be the "gatekeepers." In theory, this is supposed to decrease the number of consults because they are supposed to take care of most problems. Perhaps this will one day occur, but the way things are set up currently there is no financial penalty on placing a consult. So all that happens is that PCPs gain an enormous amount of power because they can place consults and if you don't want to see their patient, fine, you won't get any more consults. This has led to very ridiculous consults, but you have to take them. We also have a group of hospitalists and they do the exact same thing. Someone will come in to the hospital and get a consult for ID for leukocytosis, a consult for Endocrine for glucose control, a consult for Pulmonology for history of COPD, and so on. The hospitalist then merely waits for the daily plans from each specialist and then writes a note about it.

The ER specialty will also not disappear because it's not about being a physician. They're really just an extension of the hospital. The job of the ER physician is really, when you get down to brass tacks, just to notify other physicians that they need to admit someone. They facilitate the admission of patients to the hospital, which is what the financial stability of the hospital is predicated on. Therefore, don't expect them to disappear any time soon.

...Hospitalists (really, primary care physicians) are supposed to be the "gatekeepers." ...PCPs gain an enormous amount of power because they can place consults ...This has led to very ridiculous consults, but you have to take them. ...have a group of hospitalists and they do the exact same thing. Someone will come in to the hospital and get a consult for ID for leukocytosis, a consult for Endocrine for glucose control, a consult for Pulmonology for history of COPD, and so on. The hospitalist then merely waits for the daily plans from each specialist and then writes a note about it...
Actually, what you are describing is not a gatekeeper but a "vault" keeper. It is well known in the community that this practice is a method by which the hospitalist directs funds to their friends. Their friends.... I am certain are NOT upset by this practice cause they make bank every time they round... or used to. Non-procedural specialists make (or used to) their wealth off of these 3 page initial consults followed by daily rounding. I don't know how the new consult code issue will effect the medical folks and this corrupt practice of milking the healthcare system.

Whatever the case, the practice you describe is not the result of poor medical knowledge. It is actually deliberate means to suck large sums from the other party payers. If you got roped into the chain of love, just drop your note and move on...

Actually, what you are describing is not a gatekeeper but a "vault" keeper. It is well known in the community that this practice is a method by which the hospitalist directs funds to their friends. Their friends.... I am certain are NOT upset by this practice cause they make bank every time they round... or used to. Non-procedural specialists make (or used to) their wealth off of these 3 page initial consults followed by daily rounding. I don't know how the new consult code issue will effect the medical folks and this corrupt practice of milking the healthcare system.

Whatever the case, the practice you describe is not the result of poor medical knowledge. It is actually deliberate means to suck large sums from the other party payers. If you got roped into the chain of love, just drop your note and move on...
My friend who does residency in a community program told me about this phenomenon. In fact, whenever a patient got admitted, the consultants buzzed around them like bees to honey. One attending had to ask repeatedly for a consultant to stop writing notes on a patient.

One a separate note, there is an article in this month's Archives of Surgery on the role of high resolution CT scans (16 or 64 slice) on the diagnosis of NSTI. 67 patients over 6 years at MGH. NPV of 100% based on asymmetrical and diffuse areas of soft tissue inflammation and ischemia, muscle necrosis, gas across tissue planes, and fluid collections. Makes it sound like CT scan is a good way to rule out NSTI rather than by biopsy.

Never underestimate the lengths a student will go to and the risks he'll take to get that A baby.

Actually, not really. I don't know if I know anyone at the ER in question. But, my general experience has been thus. The ED attendings push for a very informal and friendly atmosphere. Where I trained, it was not uncommon for ED division/department (~entire department) to party and get smack faced drunk with the entire ED residency. The ED attendings would insist on first name only. Then, with students, they would encourage "pro-active" conduct. "Pro-active" was like the ED's version of the passive aggressive excuse used by nurses.... "I 'm a patient advocate". I keenly recall that word, "pro-active" being thrown around a dozen times a night during general surgery residency. The ED would very commonly back the independent consult calling on the part of MS4 and would usually have their back if it got a consultant's hairs all in a fro. However, invariably a real foolishy and agregious consult would occur like the one described... Then, I saw the ED back away and leave the MS4 to take the hit for the team.

There was no EM residency where I trained -- it was just community ED docs. Actually half of them were EM trained, the rest were Peds/FP/IM trained and didn't like their day jobs. Med students would hang out, but I never had one call me for a consult.

I have seen the concept of consulting your "friends". What with the loss of inpatient consults and the lower fees being paid, is it really worth it to round on any non-ICU/critical care patient for a measly $50?

Actually, what you are describing is not a gatekeeper but a "vault" keeper. It is well known in the community that this practice is a method by which the hospitalist directs funds to their friends...
My friend who does residency in a community program told me about this phenomenon. In fact, whenever a patient got admitted, the consultants buzzed around them like bees to honey. One attending had to ask repeatedly for a consultant to stop writing notes on a patient...
I have seen the concept of consulting your "friends". What with the loss of inpatient consults and the lower fees being paid, is it really worth it to round on any non-ICU/critical care patient for a measly $50?
I don't know if the practice will continue. However, if it is $50 per head, I suspect they will continue. More often then not these "requests" are for things described.... mild COPD, relatively controlled hypertension/DM/etc... Consultants will have boiler plate notes and quick fill ins for their notes. It would be ~$50 x 10-20 patients for about 5 minutes each.

I don't know if the practice will continue. However, if it is $50 per head, I suspect they will continue. More often then not these "requests" are for things described.... mild COPD, relatively controlled hypertension/DM/etc... Consultants will have boiler plate notes and quick fill ins for their notes. It would be ~$50 x 10-20 patients for about 5 minutes each.

Yes, it might be worth it for a Level 3 follow-up consult if you have that sort of consult volume. I don't know how many these guys would see in a day but 10-20 consults sounds high except perhaps for hospitalists. Anyone here done IM/IM subspecialty consult? What sort of volume are we talking about per day for inpatient consults?

To my eyes that would definitely be worth it-- as JAD said, the consulting subspecialist might well have a list 20 patients long. In the day of copy-forward EMR notes, you could spend 10 minutes per patient including the note. That's potentially $1000 gross for a morning's work... and in the afternoon you have your regularly scheduled chronic patients.

It's remarkable how quickly the "resident" mentality changes to the "hospitalist" mentality. At least amongst my friends who are now hospitalists the change from "oh god what a ******ed consult, can't that joke of an internist handle this himself" to "wheeeeeeee money! Money for my friends, too!" took about a month.

Yep, in residency it is admirable and praised by your fellow residents if you "block" significant numbers of consults. Your goal is to get straightforward operated patients in and out, drop a consult and sign off as quickly as possible. You don't care if insured or not. You don't see the money only the work. When you see a relationship between the money and your work... then you want the work and/or seek it out. Or in the case of the "vault keeper", find a way to cheat and game the system with less work. Both are reasons why socialism injures progress and motivation to work and achieve. It removes positive re-enforcement.

Both are reasons why socialism injures progress and motivation to work and achieve. It removes positive re-enforcement.

Could you expand on this? I don't see the connection, personally. Not trying to flame, or whatever.

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, but it seems like the better situation for everyone involved would be for only necessary consults to take place. The current situation where money encourages unnecessary and numerous consults seems undesirable; I don't see how this situation relates to socialism.

Perhaps I am missing your point.

Could you expand on this? ...Not trying to flame, or whatever...
I sensed that immediately:scared: I am not going to spend much time trying to spell it out.
...the better situation for everyone involved would be for only necessary consults to take place. The current situation where money encourages unnecessary and numerous consults seems undesirable; I don't see how this situation relates to socialism...
I will leave it to you to ponder as to how the current system is funded and monies distributed. There is money in socialism too. Socialism does not eliminate fraud or waste nor does it stop gaming of the system. I am not going to type beyond that; not my intent to turn this thread into full blown sociopolitical thread.

I can understand the interest in consults when you have high volume, low work involved. And yes, as residents an admit or consult just meant more work. More work now = more money.

I *hate* inpatient consults because they require a drive from my home (30 mins), almost always involve me doing some bedside imaging or biopsy, etc. so this ain't no quick run in, run out 10 minute sort of thing.

A new consult might pay me $125 with follow-ups running around $50, more if I do the imaging and biopsy. Sometimes, its not worth it.

I can understand the interest in consults when you have high volume, low work involved. And yes, as residents an admit or consult just meant more work. More work now = more money.

I *hate* inpatient consults because they require a drive from my home (30 mins), almost always involve me doing some bedside imaging or biopsy, etc. so this ain't no quick run in, run out 10 minute sort of thing.

A new consult might pay me $125 with follow-ups running around $50, more if I do the imaging and biopsy. Sometimes, its not worth it.
I agree... it is often not worth it for us that depend on ~procedure based care. However, medicine/non-procedure folks can sweep through ten patients in under an hour or two. They also do not have to squeeze in full OR days and post-ops. They also do not normally come rushing in for consults (maybe cards and ACS). So, for them, it makes money and sense.

It would seem the caveat of these 5 min consults that are being followed by several other services doing 5 min consults themselves is the risk of getting sucked into a medicolegal case. Even if it's not your fault getting subpeonaed must be a PITA.

It would seem the caveat of these 5 min consults that are being followed by several other services doing 5 min consults themselves is the risk of getting sucked into a medicolegal case. Even if it's not your fault getting subpeonaed must be a PITA.

Funny you should mention that.

I was just talking to a friend last night about exactly this situation.

He was consulted on a patient with abdominal pain; the patient was admitted to the Hospitalist Service and underwent surgery. Apparently on chest x-ray a lung nodule was seen. Patient decides to sue because he was discharged without having the lung nodule mentioned to him. The surgeon was sued as the patient claimed he was the attending physician and it was his responsibility to notify the patient of the results of the CXR (ordered by the hospitalist) and to do the work-up. Hospitalist claimed he was not responsible because the patient was admitted to the surgeon post-op.

Fortunately, the record from the ED and the medical file showed that the patient was indeed admitted to the Hospitalist and that the order from the resident post-op to "transfer to ICU" was not a transfer of attending. The surgeon (a friend of mine) was dropped from the suit.

Other physicians will leave the ship like drowning rats and point fingers in the case of a lawsuit and do anything to protect themselves. Lesson for the residents: when writing orders on patients who may have other consultants involved - make sure what your attending intends (stay on other service, or admit to surgery) and make sure all tests, even those you didn't order have some follow-up plan. This is why surgeons (even male ones ;) ) are micromanagers. Do not discharge the patient if you are not the admitting service as it implies responsibility for all other problems which may not be surgical. You might get dropped from the case but it may still incur substantial emotional and financial costs.

Funny you should mention that.

I was just talking to a friend last night about exactly this situation.

He was consulted on a patient with abdominal pain; the patient was admitted to the Hospitalist Service and underwent surgery. Apparently on chest x-ray a lung nodule was seen. Patient decides to sue because he was discharged without having the lung nodule mentioned to him. The surgeon was sued as the patient claimed he was the attending physician and it was his responsibility to notify the patient of the results of the CXR (ordered by the hospitalist) and to do the work-up. Hospitalist claimed he was not responsible because the patient was admitted to the surgeon post-op.

Fortunately, the record from the ED and the medical file showed that the patient was indeed admitted to the Hospitalist and that the order from the resident post-op to "transfer to ICU" was not a transfer of attending. The surgeon (a friend of mine) was dropped from the suit.

Other physicians will leave the ship like drowning rats and point fingers in the case of a lawsuit and do anything to protect themselves. Lesson for the residents: when writing orders on patients who may have other consultants involved - make sure what your attending intends (stay on other service, or admit to surgery) and make sure all tests, even those you didn't order have some follow-up plan. This is why surgeons (even male ones ;) ) are micromanagers. Do not discharge the patient if you are not the admitting service as it implies responsibility for all other problems which may not be surgical. You might get dropped from the case but it may still incur substantial emotional and financial costs.
Did the radiologist call anyone to notify them of the nodule? Just curious, because they often seem to get named as well.

Did the radiologist call anyone to notify them of the nodule? Just curious, because they often seem to get named as well.

Don't know - at least he didn't notify my surgeon friend who wasn't even sure why a chest xray was ordered (seemed to think it was a check box admit order sort of thing).

...was consulted on a patient with abdominal pain; the patient ...underwent surgery. Apparently on chest x-ray a lung nodule was seen. ...admitted to the Hospitalist and that the order from the resident post-op to "transfer to ICU"...

Fortunately, ...The surgeon (a friend of mine) was dropped from the suit...
Yes, very fortunate. Something like a missed nodule on an admit chest xray often bites a surgeon that provides care. Even if he/she did not order the film, it is data probably available at the time consult rendered, prior to surgery. Further, numerous textbooks still list chest xray as an important and/or standard study prior to surgery. Thus, the expectation that the surgeon would have had a responsibility to rebiew the film even if they had not ordered it.

It wasn't clear to me whether or not, upon reflection today, if the chest xray was ordered prior to or after surgery.

And despite what textbooks says, there is not a lot of EBM for routine CXR for non-chest procedures in non-cardiac or COPD patients. I think if that were the accusation, my friend could have fought that.