touchpause13

nolite te bastardes carborundorum
5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2012
The North
Found this at thanksgiving at a relatives house. It's from the August 2013 consumer reports in an an article titled "Dr. Who?" I think it's pretty blatantly biased. Do you guys agree?

20131129_172915.jpg

Aug 24, 2013
221B Baker Street
Status
Medical Student
I don't know. I don't really see a biased. Each time it says DO can do the same things as MD as well. As DO is less known about around the country, it needs to be explained a bit more, as I think they do.

Roxas

Giggity!
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Twilight Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah I guess I fail to see where it seems biased

Fedxup

5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I don't think they were intentionally trying to be biased... though to be honest the should have just copied and pasted the description from the MD row down to the DO row.
Agreed. Only difference I see is the failure to mention Bachelor's for D.O.

OP
touchpause13

touchpause13

5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2012
The North
From the way it's written I think it wasn't clear that a bachelor's degree is required.

Also I thought referring to a DO as an "osteopath" was a no-no.

Reactions: mkhuc

TheBDP

Medical Student
5+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2012
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
From the way it's written I think it wasn't clear that a bachelor's degree is required.

Most definitely a no-no

Fedxup

5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2013
Status
Medical Student

It seems to be published in some amateur new paper, am I correct?

Because I am sure some would have caught the periods for the D.O. instead of it being "DO"

cliquesh

10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Some DOs refer to themselves as osteopaths.

I think you're being a little too sensitive. You will probably have a few experiences in med school/residency/real world in regards to anti-DOism that are going to be way worse than that.

When I say a few, I'm talking about only a handful of negative experiences. It's not a big deal.

OP
touchpause13

touchpause13

5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2012
The North
It seems to be published in some amateur new paper, am I correct?

Because I am sure some would have caught the periods for the D.O. instead of it being "DO"
I found it in consumer reports which I always thought was reputable

Reactions: Fedxup
OP
touchpause13

touchpause13

5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2012
The North
Some DOs refer to themselves as osteopaths.

I think you're being a little too sensitive. You will probably have a few experiences in med school/residency/real world in regards to anti-DOism that are going to be way worse than that.

When I say a few, I'm talking about only a handful of negative experiences. It's not a big deal.
I actually had no idea that some DOs call themselves osteopaths.

And that's totally fair, you are probably right.

Fedxup

5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I found it in consumer reports which I always thought was reputable
Consumer report is highly reputable. But for some reason I can't get over the missing periods haha:confused:

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I find it offensive. It's written as to say that we are not equal based on the word choice of the author.

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Is this available online? I'd like to send an editorial or correction to the editor of the section.

mcloaf

7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I find it offensive. It's written as to say that we are not equal based on the word choice of the author.
"Practice as medical doctors do in any specialty area" is not equal?

Ibn Alnafis MD

10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2008
Where the past and the future intersect
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think you guys are being a little too sensitive. I mean who cares? Once you graduate MEDICAL school you'll be referred to as physicians. DO and MD = physician. That's something no one can argue with. NP/Dentists/Lawyers/English professors can call themselves doctors. That's fine by me. But only those who went to medical school can call themselves physician.

OP
touchpause13

touchpause13

5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2012
The North
Is this available online? I'd like to send an editorial or correction to the editor of the section.
I couldn't find it. You have to pay for a subscription from them the only reason I saw this is because my cousin's husband gets it.

I think you could probably still write a letter to the editor calling for a correction

Oct 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I do not think its biased its just showing two types of Physicians. If you want to see biased articles look at the stuff by Dr. Barrett, or look up the article on Forbes "Osteopaths vs Doctors", now that is biased.

The reality is that you will run into people who will ask you what a DO is, and you will need to explain your education and training to some people.

Roxas

Giggity!
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Twilight Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think you guys are being a little too sensitive. I mean who cares? Once you graduate MEDICAL school you'll be referred to as physicians. DO and MD = physician. That's something no one can argue with. NP/Dentists/Lawyers/English professors can call themselves doctors. That's fine by me. But only those who went to medical school can call themselves physician.
You have to be careful though because NDs call themselves "physicians" as well who supposedly graduated medical school.

Ibn Alnafis MD

10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2008
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You have to be careful though because NDs call themselves "physicians" as well who supposedly graduated medical school.
I know they may be able to call themselves "doctors" since they technically hold a doctorate degree, but is it legal to call themselves "physicians"?

NurWollen

Strong with the Force
10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2007
United States
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think sometimes people use the term "medical doctor" in the same sentence as "docor of osteopathy" or "osteopath" (thus giving the impression that DOs aren't medical doctors) because they mistakenly think the initials MD stand for "Medical Doctor." They actually stand for "Medicinae Doctor" which is Latin for "Doctor of Medicine."

Some will say this is minutae but there is a reason I bring this up. Medical doctor is a description of someone's profession. When I finish school, get licensed or whatever, as a DO, I will be a medical doctor. I will not, however, be a holder of the degree "Doctor of Medicine" AKA Medicinae Doctor AKA MD.

OP
touchpause13

touchpause13

5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2012
The North
I know they may be able to call themselves "doctors" since they technically hold a doctorate degree, but is it legal to call themselves "physicians"?
Pretty sure the AMA only considers MDs and DOs physicians, for what it's worth

NurWollen

Strong with the Force
10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2007
United States
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Pretty sure the AMA only considers MDs and DOs physicians, for what it's worth
Seems reasonable. I'd probably be generous and give it to podiatrists too since their training is so very similar to ours. Much more so than that of dentists, optometrists, DPTs, etc. Then again they don't have "unrestricted licenses" to practice medicine, so if that is the measure of someone's physicianhood I could see it going both ways.

Ibn Alnafis MD

10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2008
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think sometimes people use the term "medical doctor" in the same sentence as "docor of osteopathy" or "osteopath" (thus giving the impression that DOs aren't medical doctors) because they mistakenly think the initials MD stand for "Medical Doctor." They actually stand for "Medicinae Doctor" which is Latin for "Doctor of Medicine."

Some will say this is minutae but there is a reason I bring this up. Medical doctor is a description of someone's profession. When I finish school, get licensed or whatever, as a DO, I will be a medical doctor. I will not, however, be a holder of the degree "Doctor of Medicine" AKA Medicinae Doctor AKA MD.
Yes, medical doctor is the term given to anyone who went to medical school and practices medicine, be it MD/DO/MBBS/MBBCh etc.

However, the DO also implies that one has graduated from an osteopathic medical school and can practice Osteopathy. Therefore, when you visit many universities websites and view the residents, you'll notice that everyone is given the MD initials (including those who did a bachelor's degree in medicine overseas) except for DO's.

Ibn Alnafis MD

10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2008
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just out of curiosity, would you have preferred that your badge said D.O. instead? I know that you are an anesthesiologist and perhaps couldn't care less about what you learned in your OMM courses, but don't you feel you are entitled to be credited for your "extra" efforts?

NurWollen

Strong with the Force
10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2007
United States
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just out of curiosity, would you have preferred that your badge said D.O. instead? I know that you are an anesthesiologist and perhaps couldn't care less about what you learned in your OMM courses, but don't you feel you are entitled to be credited for your "extra" efforts?
Nurses would say his initials should be MDA lol.

cliquesh

10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm indifferent. No one I work with really knows what a DO is, and they surely do not know what OMM is.

Jun 8, 2013
Status
Yes, medical doctor is the term given to anyone who went to medical school and practices medicine, be it MD/DO/MBBS/MBBCh etc.

However, the DO also implies that one has graduated from an osteopathic medical school and can practice Osteopathy. Therefore, when you visit many universities websites and view the residents, you'll notice that everyone is given the MD initials (including those who did a bachelor's degree in medicine overseas) except for DO's.
I work at a major hospital and while an osteopathic physician's nametag says "D.O.," everything in the computer EHR says MD. The hospital website does differentiate between MD, MBBS, DO.

cabinbuilder

Urgent Care Physician
10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2005
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
I actually had no idea that some DOs call themselves osteopaths.

And that's totally fair, you are probably right.
A lot of times you really don't have a choice. The clinic I am working at currently when you look at the schedule, after the ND is say Naturopath, after my name it says Osteopath, after the MD it says doctor. I have no control of how the IT folks set up the system. :shrug:

NurWollen

Strong with the Force
10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2007
United States
Status
Resident [Any Field]
A lot of times you really don't have a choice. The clinic I am working at currently when you look at the schedule, after the ND is say Naturopath, after my name it says Osteopath, after the MD it says doctor. I have no control of how the IT folks set up the system. :shrug:
Well that is annoying.

user3

7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2010
Status
Medical Student
this is unacceptable. seriously

Reactions: Ibn Alnafis MD

cabinbuilder

Urgent Care Physician
10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2005
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
this is unacceptable. seriously
Comes down to picking your battles. The patient's don't see it. It's just how the scheduler's and the providers, and the staff see it.

Reactions: NurWollen

SurgeDO

5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
medicine is arguably the most biased profession of the time.

study hard, become a competent physician, and rise above the bull ****.

wjs010

7+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2012
Status
Medical Student

wjs010

7+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2012
Status
Medical Student
To me that is actually disrespectful. DO/MD should always be written as physician.

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Beyond the omitting the Bachelor's degree, I don't really see this as biased. Not too long ago, the AOA (and everyone) called DOs osteopaths. You still hear it from the older DOs out of habit. While I agree that Osteopathic physician is more accurate, it is a relatively recent modification, mainly used to differentiate US DOs from Osteopaths who are not physicians in other countries.

I personally would find Cabinbuilder's experience offensive, even if it doesn't get seen by patients, because everyone in that line (IT, billers, insurance companies, etc) are seeing it, and its perpetuating an idea at least amongst them that DOs aren't "real doctors" like MDs. Now what I would do to change it would probably depend on how big the practice is, how much I valued the job, etc. If it was a big university hospital, I'd make it a point to change it, but with a 5 person outpatient practice, I might not care as much.

NurWollen

Strong with the Force
10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2007
United States
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Beyond the omitting the Bachelor's degree, I don't really see this as biased. Not too long ago, the AOA (and everyone) called DOs osteopaths. You still hear it from the older DOs out of habit. While I agree that Osteopathic physician is more accurate, it is a relatively recent modification, mainly used to differentiate US DOs from Osteopaths who are not physicians in other countries.

I personally would find Cabinbuilder's experience offensive, even if it doesn't get seen by patients, because everyone in that line (IT, billers, insurance companies, etc) are seeing it, and its perpetuating an idea at least amongst them that DOs aren't "real doctors" like MDs. Now what I would do to change it would probably depend on how big the practice is, how much I valued the job, etc. If it was a big university hospital, I'd make it a point to change it, but with a 5 person outpatient practice, I might not care as much.
Might make it awkward when the ND decides to join your cause.

Reactions: Launcelot

Temperature101

Membership Revoked
Removed
May 27, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Does every state confer the M.D. degree to physicians who have the MBBS degree? Just out of curiosity!

TopTomato

5+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2012
Tomatoland
Status
Medical Student
This made me furious reading it. Like somebody mentioned before MD really stands for Doctor of Medicine, not "Medical Doctor". All DO's are medical doctors, but they are Doctors of Osteopathic medicine.

TheWeeIceMan

And like that... *poof*... he's gone.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2009
I have a hard time believing that this was an intentional slight.

Mr Kenobi

Jedi Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2012
Tatooine
Status

Reactions: Launcelot

darklabel

PGWhy
7+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Does every state confer the M.D. degree to physicians who have the MBBS degree? Just out of curiosity!
Nope, depends what school you went to. For instance, coming from SGU, all 50 states consider it an MD as long as you match into a residency. Otherwise it is an entirely useless degree.

Silent Cool

Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
Status
It's written the way it is because most people don't know that DOs are medical doctors. So to drive home that point Consumer Reports simply says, "practice as medical doctors do" to communicate that they are effectively the same. DOs are described in terms of an MD because that's the classic gold standard, and the one with which most people are familiar. There's nothing biased about it.