Contacting a POI for an informal meeting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sl0822

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can apply to programs that don't have cutoffs.

You can try this. It may work for you. A better strategy, however, might be to take the GRE again. Programs with firm cut-offs have firm cut-offs (sometimes instituted by the school or graduate studies office, so there's little that professors can do).

Your grades and GPA also might not be as bad as your think, and your RA experience is impressive. If your grades are over 3.0 and your GRE over 1000, I would send introductory emails and then apply normally.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools actually frown on meeting the POI before hand, so I would check the school's website to see if it mentions anything like that before even asking. I would also echo what the previous poster said, with your research experience if you raised your GRE stat I think the GPA really wouldn't matter as much. Also, did you apply to programs that fit you well?

2-3 lines about how their research is your interest isn't a very informative e-mail. While you don't want to write pages of stuff, it might be wise to read some recent articles from your POI. Then write 1-2 paragraphs in your e-mail about your thoughts/questions on the paper, and related it to the research that you are doing and your interests. Finally, make sure to attach a CV, and ask if they are taking students in the fall.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I got 1200 on the GREs in college, but when I retook them last year I got 1080...flubbed on the Quant. So I want tor retake them and aim for a 1300. Especially since my GPA is not good.. Although my psych gpa wasn't too awful - 3.4, my overall is 3.07 (my bio minor brought it down).

Basically, I applied to 4-5 places last year, and didn't get an interview. They were all decent matches with my research, and I emailed most of them beforehand -- very brief email, 2-3 lines about how I'm interested and this is my research.

All my rejection letters were from the graduate committee. I have a feeling they didn't even make it to the faculty members.

This is my second time applying, and my last chance, so I want to do everything I can without annoying the POIs.

Thanks for any advice.

All my rejection letters were from the graduate committee. I have a feeling they didn't even make it to the faculty members.

I wouldn't read too much into this. In two years of applying (25 schools), all of my rejections were sent out by either the graduate school or the overall psych department. There were a few schools last year where I knew my app had made it onto the prof's desk (via my current advisor), and still no personal communication from the prof. The only time I was ever contacted by a prof or program director was when I was asked for an interview, put on a waitlist, or accepted.

Can you email the DCTs of these programs and ask how you could improve your app for the next round?

I'm going to agree with what those above have said--study up and re-take the GRE. If you got a 1200 before, you can probably get yourself a 1200 again, which should be high enough to surpass the cut-off at nearly any program.

Personally, I would say there's little an in-person visit to a POI could accomplish that an appropriate email couldn't do just as well. Conversely, as others have said, the risk for an in-person visit to backfire isn't insignificant, and when combined with the cost of the trip(s), would seem to outweigh any potential advantage.

I agree with PPs that this strategy is unlikely to be successful and that most POIs would be less than enthusiastic about the prospect of meeting with "pre-applicants" (those that aren't completely unwilling, that is). I also agree that the best strategy here would be to focus your energy on pulling up your GREs and to distinguish yourself in other ways (e.g., your publication/presentation record). It is highly unlikely that positive face-to-face time would overcome a low GRE and GPA.

If you are dead set on getting some face time with this individual, you could find out (via his/her CV) if there are any conferences that he/she regularly attends and seek him/her out there. However, you'd have to keep the contact short and sweet. And again, I don't think that this would make much of a difference.

I think running into a professor at a conference is a great idea, if you can plan it and conduct yourself in a professional way. It's best to be presenting at the conference, and e-mail them in advance. Note that many of them get MANY requests like this (my old PI from undergraduate was fairly well-known, and would sometimes get 15-20 requests like this).

Also, just be careful of the fact that this can backfire on you. If you meet someone and are having a bad day, fumble your words, et cetera---they'll kind of rule you out before they even see your application. I don't think this happens often, but I remember my senior year of undergraduate, I went to a conference with my PI and this prospective student wanted to meet with him---they talked at his poster for about 5 minutes and it was super awkward, as she clearly had done no research on his work and was really kind of lame.

But definitely do not e-mail inquiring about a private meeting---that's not a good idea AT all!

Can you email the DCTs of these programs and ask how you could improve your app for the next round?

Some (many?) faculty will be reluctant to answer questions like this, especially in writing, for fear of being accused of libel. A professor at my undergrad said they made a point of always evading these inquiries for that reason, but this may not be the case everywhere.

I did have an in-person "pre-interview" meeting with a faculty member at one program, at their request. I ended up getting an interview there but did not get an offer, FWIW.

I've "run" into faculty at conferences and I don't think it works. They're busy, they don't really want to talk to you because they have other things on their plate, and they won't remember you come application time.

Sorry, I am pretty bitter. ;) Maybe it's better if you pre-arrange it, which I didn't do.

I had a positive experience with pre-arranging "meetings" at conferences. It's best to set up in advance, but don't ask to set up a formal coffee date. Instead, I recommend saying "Hey, I noticed you are listed on a poster, are you going to be there presenting it?" Sometimes they aren't even there and its the graduate student, but often, they are at least one. Sometimes if you just say something like that, it seems less formal, and when you get there, you have an automatic ice breaker---the poster in front of your eyes. I did this several times and every time it worked really nice. Once, I set up a formal meeting, and though the professor agreed, it honestly felt awkward.
Also, if you e-mail the POI, always send your CV as an attachment.