Contacting Admissions Directors/Deans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

td_g

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it appropriate to contact admissions directors/deans to dental schools, and let them know you plan on applying to their school via email? If so, how much detail do you go into about yourself? What are the right things to say, questions to ask?

I am a TX resident and plan to apply to all three schools for 2005 cycle plus 15-20 others. I have to increase my chances in any way that I can to get in. I am already 29 and have to strive to get in the first time that I apply!

My background:
Undergrad: UT Austin 1998, BS Textiles and Apparel Design
(wanted to be a fashion designer...ha, ha!)
Overall GPA: 3.12
Science: 2.88

I decided to go back to school in 2002 and have been working very slowly towards completing my pre-reqs. Problem is that I work f/t and have been taking one class per semester at UT in the evening. Anyway, my plan is to return to UT f/t in Sp04 and get most of the Bio and GChem out of the way before I apply next May. I would like to be prepared to take the DAT sometime in Aug next year. This will be before I have taken any O-Chem.

I know that I must do the following...raise my GPA, get at least a 20 on the DAT, write a good essay, and shadow (which I am currently doing). I am currently employed in HR at a state agency that rehabilitates troubled youth and have been doing some volunteer mentoring. In the meantime, I am thinking about trying to apply for a summer enrichment program next summer just to see if they will let me in. Although, I am not sure if it will be worth my time to sit out a summer of taking classes vs attending a SEP.

What else should I be doing? Any feedback would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

I know at Houston the SEP was by invite only a few years ago, unless that has changed.

Also, you don't even need to apply in May if you haven't taken
Organic OR taken the DAT!

These are some of the major things they look at. If your application isn't even complete (with these items included) you won't even be considered.

I don't want to sound pessimistic but if you apply before you even have the necessary requirements, it looks like you haven't even researched what you need at all.

Get organic over with and take DAT afterwards--there is quite a bit of chemistry on the test.

Gook Luck!
Amy

wow.... Amy is rite !

Take all your required classes before taking the DAT. Don't forget to take Biochemistry also, it is required by baylor and many other schools.

We're on the same boat, man.

Members don't see this ad :)
I realize that having those classes for the DAT would be better. However, I should clarify that I have taken a combo Gchem/O-chem class during my undergrad, but it was strictly for nursing/human ecology majors. I was advised to take the one for pre-dent/med.

I heard that some Deans emphasized that we don't need to have had all the pre-reqs before applying, as long as we finish them before matriculation (which is contrary to my advisor said). :confused:

I could be kidding myself, but I think the most important thing is having enough of the pre-reqs to do well on the DAT. :idea:

i think if you really want to become a dentist as soon as possible you should apply and hope for the best. you can always reapply next year after your requirements are fulfilled. you can always call the admissions office to find out. on a personal level i would highly suggest completing these courses to demonstrate proficiency in the weed outs/higher sciences and to facilitate your dat studying.