Contacting admissions for feedback despite acceptance elsewhere?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Contact admissions?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

DecisionsDecisions123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that my app cycle has come to a close, I've been doing a lot of self-evaluation. I applied fairly broadly, interviewed at 8 schools, and was accepted to a few. Some of those are unranked, and one is a lower to mid-tier school. I came from a top 10 UG with a 71 LizzyM, graduation with multiple honors, and plenty of clinical and research experience. I currently attend an OOS lower to mid-tier med school that I'm starting to really love. However, I can't help but feel that I should have come out with better options. I really wanted to attend my state school which I interviewed for on their first interview day, but it seems the admissions gods felt otherwise. I was above their average MCAT and gpa by multiple points on each. I know I should let it pass, but has anyone ever contacted an admissions office to ask for feedback despite being accepted elsewhere? If anything, I'd really like to know if it was for any specific reason that may help me come residency interviews. My state school is where my SO lives and works, so it was heartbreaking to move away.

Members don't see this ad.

Now that my app cycle has come to a close, I've been doing a lot of self-evaluation. I applied fairly broadly, interviewed at 8 schools, and was accepted to a few. Some of those are unranked, and one is a lower to mid-tier school. I came from a top 10 UG with a 71 LizzyM, graduation with multiple honors, and plenty of clinical and research experience. I currently attend an OOS lower to mid-tier med school that I'm starting to really love. However, I can't help but feel that I should have come out with better options. I really wanted to attend my state school which I interviewed for on their first interview day, but it seems the admissions gods felt otherwise. I was above their average MCAT and gpa by multiple points on each. I know I should let it pass, but has anyone ever contacted an admissions office to ask for feedback despite being accepted elsewhere? If anything, I'd really like to know if it was for any specific reason that may help me come residency interviews. My state school is where my SO lives and works, so it was heartbreaking to move away.

If it is eating at you that way, then I don't see how it can hurt you to find out. If it's an interview problem then it could help. And some schools practice yield protection, but I feel if it is your state school they should have accepted you if everything was what they wanted it to be. Had you interviewed at 8 schools and been accepted at 0, then you would definitely have an interview problem. But coming out of it with 3/8 acceptances or so doesn't necessarily mean that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please just move on

Reactions: 1 user
You've been accepted somewhere. You're going to be a doctor. Why you didn't get accepted anywhere else is water under the bridge now-- finding out more isn't going to tell you anything you need to for your future.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you so emotionally needy that you need affirmation from every school you apply to? And applying to residencies and interviews for them are very different than interviews for med school.

So, do this:
0.jpg

Reactions: 2 users