Contacting Journal Regarding Manuscript Status?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coldsweat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted a manuscript 3.5 months ago and my advisor is advising me to contact the journal to ask about the status. I'm not sure why she's asking me to do this, as I've definitely heard of considerably longer wait times. Is it appropriate to contact journals regarding the status of your manuscript after this amount of time? It sounds to me that it would only annoy the editor and not speed up the process, but that's just my impression.

Members don't see this ad.

Agreed with WisNeuro--3.5 months is more than enough time to wait to send out a general status request email. You should have a contact person/associate editor assigned to your paper at this point, and I'd imagine it's part of that person's job to answer questions such as yours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice! I wasn't sure if it was proper etiquette so it's good to know it's okay to do this.

Yup just quote all of your manuscript information and they'll see what's going on.