Contacting Medical Schools About Mistake on AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skippy1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I recently submitted my AMCAS but just realized I mistakingly clicked "Yes" under the Disadvantaged Status in the Biographical Information section and left the comments blank with a piece of placeholder text. I am planning on contacting medical schools individually to let them know of this error and not to consider me as having Disadvantaged Status. What would be the best way to go about this? Should I wait till my transcript is verified and sent before contacting them? Or should I just call/send them an email now? Have been sort of freaking out for the past couple of days. Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Yikes, I'm sorry. I feel for you because I know people who made similar mistakes and it cost them dearly.

I think the only people qualified to answer this question are the local adcoms but it is perceivable that it will be viewed negatively no matter what you do.

Mad love your way, stay strong...

@Goro @gyngyn @Catalystik @LizzyM @mimelim

Last edited:
@Syns, what do you mean by cost them dearly? I feel like this isn't even remotely an issue. If I were an ADCOM and I saw this, the first thing that would cross my mind is "it was obviously a simple mistake, he forgot to come back to this" and evaluate their app as not disadvantaged. But that's just me.

Members don't see this ad :)
@xyphr

I used to agree with your sentiments exactly.

Best case scenario, it is seen as evidence that your attention to detail is significantly lacking and that is a HUGE negative. It is seen so harshly because the assumption is you're putting your best foot forward for medical school admission.

I know for a fact AMCAS will not allow you to modify your application in ANY WAY after you submit. This is truly a difficult situation OP.

Thank you for your replies everyone. I understand it is a significant overlook, and one I obviously am beating myself up over. I tried contacting AMCAS but they told me to contact the individual schools. I'm still unsure of the best way to do this though.

What happened, happened. Don't beat yourself up about it. Learn as much as you can from it and move on a better person than you were before.

Last edited: