Contacting professors...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cherrybaby12055

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I do realize questions about this have been asked before but I wanted to get some specific clarification. If i'm applying to a school, and I am interested in two different professor's research, is it acceptable to email both asking if they are accepting students (provided it's not anywhere on the website)? Or would that be frowned upon and should I just narrow it to one professor?

Also, if the website DOES say which professors are accepting students, should I not even email the professor introducing myself and telling them that I will be applying?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I do realize questions about this have been asked before but I wanted to get some specific clarification. If i'm applying to a school, and I am interested in two different professor's research, is it acceptable to email both asking if they are accepting students (provided it's not anywhere on the website)? Or would that be frowned upon and should I just narrow it to one professor?

Also, if the website DOES say which professors are accepting students, should I not even email the professor introducing myself and telling them that I will be applying?

Thanks!

I would imagine it's perfectly fine to contact two different professors at the same program if they are taking students if both of them have not indicated whether or not they are.

As far as your second question, I would e-mail the professor if you have a legitimate question about their research/lab as a prospective student, but I probably wouldn't e-mail them just to let them know you're applying.

edit: also don't freak out if professors don't respond to your e-mail as you go through this process. It's relatively normal and reading into it will only cause you undue stress :) good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! I have a follow up question- so I've heard from many professors, but there are a few I still haven't heard from. What should I do? A few of them I only want to apply if they are accepting students....

I have a related question to this -- after contacting professors, if a good handful of them are accepting students for this admissions cycle, how many should I actually list in my personal statement as POIs? Of course, I don't want to list every single professor accepting this cycle, but am just wondering what is a good number to go by

... there are a few I still haven't heard from. What should I do? A few of them I only want to apply if they are accepting students....
Contact the professors again and personalize your message/letter in a diplomatic and professional manner so that the profs have an idea about *what* and *why* you are contacting them. As mentioned by @GoPokes, be prepared for some profs to be non-responsive - so try not to take anything personally.

Thank you.

I have a related question to this -- after contacting professors, if a good handful of them are accepting students for this admissions cycle, how many should I actually list in my personal statement as POIs? Of course, I don't want to list every single professor accepting this cycle, but am just wondering what is a good number to go by
My suggestion is 3 POIs who are compatible with your own interests/background (although other posters might differ, depending on their graduate programs). Some grad programs do not require that a student be "matched" with a prof at the time of admission. So, do your homework. In your personal statement, you should present a well-articulated case explaining *why* you are well-suited to join the PIO's lab (i.e., a "good fit").

Thank you.

My suggestion is 3 POIs who are compatible with your own interests/background (although other posters might differ, depending on their graduate programs). Some grad programs do not require that a student be "matched" with a prof at the time of admission. So, do your homework. In your personal statement, you should present a well-articulated case explaining *why* you are well-suited to join the PIO's lab (i.e., a "good fit").

Thank you.

Thank you for the advice!

Contact the professors again and personalize your message/letter in a diplomatic and professional manner so that the profs have an idea about *what* and *why* you are contacting them. As mentioned by @GoPokes, be prepared for some profs to be non-responsive - so try not to take anything personally.

Thank you.
indeed they can be non responsive but I think that most professors who are professors not for the money but for the greater good - they will response... though yeah... when you don't know with whom you're dealing with, better expected never to get an answer...

I am actually having that problem I have been trying to get in contact with POI from one of the universities that I would like to apply I emailed her earlier in the summer I got no reply. I emailed her agin last month nothing. I just want to know if she is accepting students and more information on her research interests . On the website it does not say anything just her research interests (For example mental illness in the blind).Like I want to know more and I tried looking for her publications but its not helping.