1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Contacting Professors

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by Noah333, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Noah333

Noah333 Member
    5+ Year Member

This is a question for those already in a grad program...

There a few schools to which I am applying where I am interested in the work of two or three professors. When I contact these professors, is it disingenuous not to mention that I am also contacting other faculty? I guess the real question is how will the admissions office deal with a personal statement that expresses interest in several faculty members - I question which faculty member they will send it to? I do not want to appear to be falsely casting a wide net.

Any constructive, non-bitchy :smuggrin: thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sunny22

sunny22 Member
    5+ Year Member

When I applied to the program that I am currently enrolled in I mentioned 3 professors in my personal statement. Their research was related in some ways - so I mentioned the link and why the work they were doing was all related to what I am interested in and in what I ultimately would like to do.

So, no, I don't think that it is disingenuous to contact faculty members and focus on their interests as it is relevant to you.

Good Luck!

4. Deslok

Deslok Member
    5+ Year Member

I just contacted the professor I was MOST interested in but mentioned other professors in my personal statements. Not that that's necessarily the best thing to do, but, eh.

5. joetro

joetro Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I did the same thing; I contacted most interested professor and therefore knew that I could apply to school X because Professor Y was taking. However, if other faculty member's whose research was like Professor Y's were also at School X, I mentioned them also in my statement in case they too would be looking to take people.

I don't think this is considered a slight to that professor, but just keeping one's options open or laying the foundation for future collaboration.

6. lazure

lazure Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'd say that it is better to mention three professors (but not more) since then you demonstrate a greater match with the program. You will need other profs to be on your committee and for other projects, you would be better off going somewhere where you can switch if things don't work out....

7. Noah333

Noah333 Member
    5+ Year Member

excellent, thanks for the information

did you all simply say you are interested in the work of Professor X (generic and safe) or did you also say I am interested as it relates to my interest in doing ABC? I have been doing the latter...

8. joetro

joetro Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Mostly talked up Professor X and their work, but brief mention of people Y and Z too given my larger interest in topic W (wow that's a lot of letters).

9. twiggers

twiggers Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I only applied to schools where there were at least 3 profs taking students (so long as I was interested in all 3 profs researchs). I mentioned all profs, with an emphasis on the one I really wanted to work with, and how their research related to my interests.

So...mentioning more than one prof can be a great thing.

I mentioned several in mine, and I'm currently involved in 3 projects in my first year and working with 4 professors. It's great to be diversified, but still relating things to your core interest :)