contacting schools post-interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pancarre12

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed that interviewers typically tell you to write or e-mail them with any questions you might have about the school, and it's also starting to look, at least in my case, like a school will waitlist or reject you if they don't think you're very interested. I interviewed at several places in September and October, and I haven't sent anything at all afterwards. The schools I'm most interested in have actually not gotten any letters from me raving about how much I love the school, because up until now I assumed it would annoy them.

Now I'm just wondering if keeping in touch with a school post-interview is necessary, particularly if you interviewed early, to keep the committee thinking that you're interested. What has everybody else been doing about this?

Members don't see this ad.

pancarre12 said:
I noticed that interviewers typically tell you to write or e-mail them with any questions you might have about the school, and it's also starting to look, at least in my case, like a school will waitlist or reject you if they don't think you're very interested. I interviewed at several places in September and October, and I haven't sent anything at all afterwards. The schools I'm most interested in have actually not gotten any letters from me raving about how much I love the school, because up until now I assumed it would annoy them.

Now I'm just wondering if keeping in touch with a school post-interview is necessary, particularly if you interviewed early, to keep the committee thinking that you're interested. What has everybody else been doing about this?
i totally kept in touch with my iowa interviewers and the admissions counselor there. i emailed the interviewer for a reference to an article he wrote about bilingual education (I am teacing linguistics next semester) and when I emailed the admissions counselor about a status check, I reitterated my desire to go to Iowa and study with their new Center on Aging. One week later:acceptance.

Do write. don't be a hound, but get your point across.

If you really want to go to these schools, then I would definitely do some kind of follow up to show your interest. Whether it be an update letter or a thank you not, or even a phone call. I strongly believe that a third of what counts during your interview is convincing the admissions that you will go if accepted (either having a support system nearby or having a great experience with that school, etc.) It is a fine line though, by all means do NOT weird them out either (be professional). Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
pancarre12 said:

I didn't do any of this after my first few interviews and have been passed over by three of the schools and outright rejected by another that I loved and where my numbers are well above average. The interviewer at this school actually told me that his interview with me was one of the best he had ever done.

I just don't know whether my lack of contact had anything to do with the decisions but I am sure not taking any chances with my last two interviews....I wrote thank you letters and made them aware of how much I liked the school during the tours, AND IT BETTER WORK!!

Sorry, getting a little anxious here.

I feel the urge to write to my interviewers, especially 4 interviewers from my 2 state schools. I wrote them emails right after the interview - thanking them and also expressing my interest in the respective schools.

I really can't think of any questions that I would like to ask to the interviewers. Do you think it would be alright to send a short email saying I am very interested in their school and also wishing a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year? or would it look negative?

Thanks all. Merry Christmas..happy holidays..happy new year!
S.

well i do say call, email, stay in touch.
i did send thank you notes after one of my interview and they wailisted me. after two months, i called and ask about my status, even though i knew it had not chnage, they told me that i have shown little interest in the school.
and here i was thinking about not bothering them. :(
after that day, i email them every two weeks. ;)
hope they see my interest now, :cool:

shahab said:
I feel the urge to write to my interviewers, especially 4 interviewers from my 2 state schools. I wrote them emails right after the interview - thanking them and also expressing my interest in the respective schools.

I really can't think of any questions that I would like to ask to the interviewers. Do you think it would be alright to send a short email saying I am very interested in their school and also wishing a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year? or would it look negative?

Thanks all. Merry Christmas..happy holidays..happy new year!
S.
congratulations on tufts, :D :cool: ;) :thumbup:

baby4you said:
congratulations on tufts, :D :cool: ;) :thumbup:

Not sure if you really meant to congratulate me or someone else? I did not apply to Tufts. But if they offer me admission, I will definitely not complain especially if they also give me full or partial scholarship so that I can buy food after paying tuition.

Thanks for your advice though.. I just wrote 4 emails to my 4 interviewers. I can't imagine that writing them wishing merry christmas/happy new year and expressing my interest in their school will be taken as a negative thing. I guess I will find out in Spring.

Take care.
S.