contacting schools to find out why you were rejected?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bis-GMA111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone have any ideas of how i should go about this? having some feedback would really help me out

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone have any ideas of how i should go about this? having some feedback would really help me out

I don't think this is a good plan...they'd probably give some canned response like "we had many qualified applicants..." blah blah blah

You should set up a meeting to ask what you should do to become a better applicant for next cycle

You can do this but they will probably tell you it's your GPA !! Your DAT is good and I would assume you have average ECs.
You gota bring the GPA up . All the best

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think this is a good plan...they'd probably give some canned response like "we had many qualified applicants..." blah blah blah

You should set up a meeting to ask what you should do to become a better applicant for next cycle

:thumbup:

Request an appt (a phone appt if you live far away) with someone from admissions and state that you would like to know what you can/should do for next cycle

I was rejected by my state school on Dec 1st. Long story short, I politely inquired as to how I could improve my app for the next cycle, and was given a fairly generic response (understandably). Due to a large influx of questions about what the school said, I made a thread about the topic, and well... it was not received well lol. All said and done, I would not expect much from the school. If they do take the time to look over your interview notes, be very thankful they took the time to do so. Best of luck with your next application cycle; I hope you get many acceptances! :)

I was rejected by my state school on Dec 1st. Long story short, I politely inquired as to how I could improve my app for the next cycle, and was given a fairly generic response (understandably). Due to a large influx of questions about what the school said, I made a thread about the topic, and well... it was not received well lol. All said and done, I would not expect much from the school. If they do take the time to look over your interview notes, be very thankful they took the time to do so. Best of luck with your next application cycle; I hope you get many acceptances! :)

I agree you probably wont learn anything from the school and all you can really do is reapply.

...well i obviously know the major reasons which led to their decision, but i was just wondering if i could get any other feedback or if i could get any other tips or something

Each dental school receives thousands of applications. They interview hundreds. Ultimately they accept a very small portion. I don't think it's always "what did I do wrong" or "what is my app missing". Sure some people screw up their interviews or just have terrible apps, but they simply have to make tough choices and pass over some people based on what they look like on a few pieces of paper.

...well i obviously know the major reasons which led to their decision, but i was just wondering if i could get any other feedback or if i could get any other tips or something

Here are some tips:
1. check the school's website; you'd be surprised the amount of information it has
2. check the information listed in the ADEA Official Guide to DS pertaining to the schools in question
3. consider a post bac or MS program
4. retake the DAT
5. when you have completed all of the above, check with ds Dean and ask for the magic word (tip or something) which will open the admission door.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=890217

Last edited:
A meeting will give U an accurate answer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk