contacting schools w/o invites - advice??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aldo16

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys....i still haven't heard a peep from like 10 schools. Every time I contact them over the phone/email, I just get is the generic "your application is complete" line.

as all of you (my fellow pre-meds) understand well, these months of inactivity for these schools is driving me bonkers. i'm tempted to write a few of them (my top choices) an additional letter outlining the highlights of my application, and why i would be a good fit for their program.

what do you guys think about that? would that come across as a sincere letter, or a shameless interview request?

thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

aldo,

I certainly feel your frustration. However, I would only send this type of letter if I actually interviewed there first. As far as getting the invitation, well, that's pretty much what your app's for, right? I have very good LOR's, essays, a good overall gpa and a decent sci gpa and EC's, but my MCAT score totally weakens my app. Therefore, I feel I will be letting the schools know just how interested and serious I am by scoring better on the next MCAT, as well as boosting the sci gpa, and applying again. If OTH you have really solid apps and stats and are not weak in any aspect of your app, then you should just be patient, cuz it ain't over yet!!!

If you are still in school and have not sent an update letter to all of the schools you applied to (i.e. fall grades, change in extra-currics,classes you are currently taking, etc) than I would do so. If things have changed since your primary and secondary apps then I would send an update letter with new transcripts even if you haven't been invited to interview, yet.