Contemplating MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qkchen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
dear forumers,

i am in need of some advice regarding my current situation. i have been accepted into the MPH school of my choice (Colorado School of Public Health) but i am contemplating whether i should attend or not. i have recently been thinking about attending dental school so at this point, i am not sure whether MPH is suitable for me. i originally wanted to continue my work in research but on a population level; now i am having second thoughts. i think there are more deserving ppl out there who would want a pursue the MPH.

i am very thankful to my recommenders for their help and support. however, i am not sure how i should approach them with my decision. i don't know if they will feel angry but i am hoping they will understand. if you can offer any suggestions, please feel free to do so. thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see why they would be angry. Would you be asking any of the same ones to write you dental school recommendations? I'm sure, if they are truly people who should be writing recommendations for you, would support you and offer their assistance moving forward.

All in all, its better to have doubts now than if you were already in the program. I can't imagine people not being able to understand/commiserate with a change of heart, especially if they are from academia.

Good luck either way though! I wouldn't sweat it.

yeah, they're the only ones that i can ask recommendations for... just hope they understand

I am sure they will understand. I was in the same position a few years ago when applying to med school...I had my letter writers send recommendations to AMCAS and then decided not to submit. A few months later, I asked the same letter writers for recommendations for MPH and none of them had any problems.

I guess my only suggestion is to explain your though process to the letter writers in such a way that they can tailor their updated letters to be more appropriate for dental school as opposed to MPH.

Either way, good luck!

Last edited: