Content of the QR section of the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Expert

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have already taken the DAT:

The DAT test specifications of the Quantitative Reasoning Section listed on the official DAT Test Guide lists the following topics (verbatim) to be tested on the QR section:

Mathematical Problems - Algebra (equations and expressions, inequalities, exponential notation, absolute value, ratios and proportions, and graphical analysis); Numerical calculations (fractions and decimals, percentages, approximations, and scientific notation); Conversions (temperature, time, weight, and distance); Probability and Statistics; Geometry; and Trigonometry
Applied Mathematics (Word) Problems

Okay so the algebra and numeric calculations seem straightforward enough. But what about statistics and probability? Does anyone know the scope of statistics covered on the DAT? Will there be things like random variables, probability distributions, mean, median, etc. that are typically seen in a statistics class? Does the probability that's tests include counting (like permutations and combinations)? And what is the scope of the trig and geometry covered on the DAT?

On this forum, it also appears that Math Destroyer and CDM are among the top resources used to prepare for the section. If you had to pick just one of them to use to prepare for the DAT, which one would it be and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Its hard to tell you the "scope" of the QR section. However I can tell you for sure that if you were to buy the MATH destroyer and do those 400 problems, about 80% of them will reappear on the real DAT with different numbers. This book will give you an excellent idea of how the questions come up (algebra, calculations, probabilities, etc etc)

I say MATH destroyer cause thats the one I used. Sadly, I was one of those fools who underestimated the QR section due to my previous strong background in math. I only did the first 6 tests on the MATH destroyer and I did them 1 month or so before my DAT date, by time I took the DAT, I was litterally out-of-practice for QR. I was lucky to get out of there with only 18. Had I taken MATH destroyer and QR section more seriously, I coulda easily gotten 22+......... Oh well life goes on

really? 80% ? if it's true, then it is wow !
If we know how to solve all of problems on Math destroyer, it will be ok for 20+ ?
I was studing mostly CDM instead of destroyer hmm

id say math destroyer is the best for your money it has solutions in it too like worded soultions cdm is just computer based and is a lot harder and just bad explanations in my opinion ......math destroyer will give you the best range of and quality of questions that you will encounter on the dat plus its like 400 questions try to do some basic math review though before with ur college textbooks or kaplan review book...good luck

really? 80% ? if it's true, then it is wow !
If we know how to solve all of problems on Math destroyer, it will be ok for 20+ ?
I was studing mostly CDM instead of destroyer hmm

I mean, the 80% is MY estimation based on the DAT I took last october. Most of the questions I was reading, I was always saying to myself "oh thats just like the one I worked out on MATH destroyer"

I can't tell you if your going to get a 20+.... but man if you master those 400 problems, I'd say your chances of landing an 18+ is VERY doable