Quantcast

Content Review over Practice Tests

Join BeMo MCAT MasterMind Club®
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NigerianBull87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have pretty much went over all the material for my Aug 22nd test at least once, but I am tempted on just taking practice tests from here on out and just learning from the practice tests rather than doing content review, how does that sound? My strategy was going to do all the Kaplan exams untimed and learn from them, and after I have extracted all the info from those exams, take all the AAMC's timed. Do you think that if I learn all the info from the Kaplan exams with my mediocore content review, and timed AAMC's from here on out I will be good to go? Thought and opinions, please.

requeim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
nigerianbull87, that sounds like a good plan. my only concern would be the amount of time you spend reviewing each test. you have approximately 3 weeks left and you should def be focusing on doing practice tests and reviewing, like your plan. since you have a limited amount of time, i would search SDN for which Kaplan tests are representative of the mcat and do only those. then, you can move on to the aamcs.

the key thing to focus on is heavy review after so i would plan accordingly leaving at least one day in between each test so that you can review.

NigerianBull87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I should not do all 11, I just figured that if I did all 11 Kaplan exams then there should not be much new info. on the real exam or the practice CBT's and that covers content review in its own right. Just a thought, but I definitly appreciate your opinion and thoughts.

futuredoctor10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I should not do all 11, I just figured that if I did all 11 Kaplan exams then there should not be much new info. on the real exam or the practice CBT's and that covers content review in its own right. Just a thought, but I definitly appreciate your opinion and thoughts.

How many have you done so far? I think it'd be hard/nearly impossible to start now and try to finish Kaplan FLs 1-11 and AAMCs 3-10 before Aug 22. But if you have done some of the AAMCs and Kaplan FL exams, you could take an exam every other day or every 2 days and finish all of them by 8.22.

I think it depends on the grasp you have on the content. If you feel pretty confident you know most of the content, I'd say just doing FLs and reviewing them (and subsequently looking at areas you are weak on in the review books) would be a good plan.

Whereas if in doing full lengths you discover major/larger content areas you miss because you don't know content, it'd be worth cutting 1 or 2 full lengths to just focus on that weak spot.

dynezxice

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What you have under your belt in terms of content review is good, but you need to start taking exams timed in order to prepare yourself mentally for the big day.

For me, I studied content review for 2 months with EC and then focused on taking some Kaplan's FL and AAMC 3-10 for a month. I definitely learned more from reviewing my mistakes on the practice exams then just reviewing content, since there is absolutely no way you can remember all the info you read.

I recommend taking Kaplan FL 1-5 and 9, but if you find yourself lacking time, make sure to take Kaplan FL 9, since it's a good imitation of the real thing imo. The hardest FL are Kaplan 10 and 11, so approach them at your discretion, ie it will kill your confidence.

amar21

professional crammer
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
im in the same boat as you.. ive done content review a few times over and am writing aug 22. I started to do kaplan sectionals and FL's but realized they are very different then AAMC (ESP the verbal and general wording of questions). Kaplan is more "math" oriented... even in the way they solve problems or give explanations..everything always relates to a formula being manipulated. I'd start doing AAMC's.. one every other day or every 3 days and review content/the exam simultaneously in between! Thats what im doing now.

Star2008

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Definitely do practice exams! Pinpoint areas of weakness. I'd do them all timed...you should start working on timing now. You can always do the ones you couldn't finish anyway, but it'll get you in the game.

1Cor1557

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have pretty much went over all the material for my Aug 22nd test at least once, but I am tempted on just taking practice tests from here on out and just learning from the practice tests rather than doing content review, how does that sound? My strategy was going to do all the Kaplan exams untimed and learn from them, and after I have extracted all the info from those exams, take all the AAMC's timed. Do you think that if I learn all the info from the Kaplan exams with my mediocore content review, and timed AAMC's from here on out I will be good to go? Thought and opinions, please.
You would be wise to do as you have said. This is not a final exam on introductory college science. You cannot be successful just knowing information. You must be skilled at taking the test. Commence barrages of full lengths immediately.