Content/Stylistic differences between Real MCAT and AAMC Practice tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odoylerules

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
well i was just wondering if there are any major differences. really would like to hear back from recent test takers. also, a friend told me the curve in july is easier than say april or august? is that true?

Members don't see this ad.

well i was just wondering if there are any major differences. really would like to hear back from recent test takers. also, a friend told me the curve in july is easier than say april or august? is that true?

First point, *content* wise, there are probably some minor differences between the real MCAT and the practice exams. Maybe not actual new content tested, but the focus of the exam, etc. etc. There's a topics list put out by the AAMC, if you search their website you'll find it. The real difference, however, is in perceived difficulty. Some people say their exam was similar to the practice exams (in terms of difficulty), some say that it was much harder. Just don't walk in thinking you're going to get something very similar to the practice exams. You may or may not.

On the second point, no, that's not really true. Here's a thread which discusses the MCAT curve greatly:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=517966&highlight=MCAT+curved%3F

took test 5/27/08.

as far as stylistic differences, there are very few. The only major difference is that AAMC allows you to use a "search" function while the real MCAT DOES NOT. So dont get in a habit of using it when you practice b/c it wont be there on the real thing. There is still highlighting available and you can still cross out answers, and the format is exactly the same.

As far as content, AAMC BS has way more ochem than was on my test. The recent tests have been having very few ochem questions (2 passages at the most). My test didn't even have any discretes for ochem. The PS was almost all physics for me, but even more recent test takers said they had a lot of chemistry. I feel the AAMCs split physics and gen chem pretty evenly. The VR i felt was smack on in terms of length of passages and difficulty.

Over all, i fetl the 5/27 test was on par in difficulty with AAMC tests. You will find other people from other test dates who will tell you the exact opposite and are pissed off that the tests are so different. Luckily that wasnt my expereince and I ended up scoring at the top of my practice range.

As far as difficulty of test and generosity of curve, i wouldnt even worry about that. i didnt go through the link that visadhas gave you, but i highly doubt anyone really knows how the difficulties compare across test dates. Whats the most people take the test? 3 times? Maybe 4? Dont waste time speculating about stuff you wont ever be able to know definitively. Just study hard and you will do fine.