contesting a rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcdoc107

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you think about contesting a rejection? A heard of an applicant who actually did this at UF and they went on to accept him. After getting another rejection letter today I am thinking about doing this to every school I get rejected from. After all, what have I got to loose?

Members don't see this ad.

could you post what you heard about the uf person contesting the rejection? it doesn't really affect me, but any situation where Dr. Gessner has to eat some crow should be pretty interesting. He doesn't strike me as the type that likes to be wrong.

As far as I know it was just a basic letter explaining why the student deserved to be accepted pointing out things such as volunteer work, GPA, MCAT. Basic things of that nature.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by jcdoc107
What do you think about contesting a rejection? A heard of an applicant who actually did this at UF and they went on to accept him. After getting another rejection letter today I am thinking about doing this to every school I get rejected from. After all, what have I got to loose?

well, say you didnt get in this year anywhere, you've pretty much pissed off every school for next year.

i would not believe it unless i heard it from a primary source...
if you have the guts why dont you call up the school and ask if this really happened.

and like exmike said...do you really want to leave a bad taste in the mouths of schools that you will most likely be applying to again next cycle if you dont happen to get in? i dont know if i would want anyone disrespecting my decision...

and dont school have some sort of policy on this? whether or not they even deal with appealing a rejection? its almost impossible for undergrad...i cant see med school being any easier.

I actually heard it from a TA of mine who knew the student. There even happened to be a student in the lab who knew the applicant as well. I know that this is a very rare event, however, I believe it to be true.

i am very good friends with a student from UM who was originally rejected. The rejection occurred post-interview and she wrote a letter to the dean explaning why the committe was 'wrong' for rejecting her.

i don't see anything wrong with it
i already did it and the school sent me a kind letter saying they looked at my file all over again and decided to stick to their original decision
and as for remembering you the next cycle...really? are they gonna remember they have thousands of students applying
you're just a face in the crowd and i doubt .... highly doubt that they'd remember
i see no harm in it
people make mistakes and if they don't like it when you point it out...i don't think i'd want to go to school run by people with that attitude...it is a bit ideal but its a matter of principle

I can think of a couple of schools I'd like to grill on this topic, Kermit the Frog style. It still bugs me that they actually rejected me - I know it sounds stupid to say it but that's how I feel.

But the smarter part of me says: look, it's like dating, do you really want to chase after some guy who doesn't even like you? For what? It's huge lesson in humilty and acceptance. I read a thread early on that said: you will be amazed at how often your feelings will change about different schools in the process. My early 'favourite' schools rejected me, and the ones I knew nothing about seem to like me. It's so hard to predict...

i would only contest a rejection from a school that is among your top 2-3 choices. instead of focusing the letter on the numbers, focus on what you can contribute to the school and why you want them. ive written one letter to a school i was rejected at pre-interview and they did change their mind. i will be interviewing there this coming january....so letters can help, but they will be able to tell if it's not sincere.

Originally posted by MEDicated
i would only contest a rejection from a school that is among your top 2-3 choices. instead of focusing the letter on the numbers, focus on what you can contribute to the school and why you want them. ive written one letter to a school i was rejected at pre-interview and they did change their mind. i will be interviewing there this coming january....so letters can help, but they will be able to tell if it's not sincere.

was that during the same application cycle? or did you reapply? would you mind saying which school that was? and more specifically how you proceded about this. what were your stats-- exceptional, within their average range?

NYC, i PM'ed you. write back if you have any questions

I've been worried that I might be rejected pre-interview by some schools because I'm not sure if my app tells the whole story, so to speak. It never occured to me to contest a rejection. I wouldn't do it for every school, but if one I was really interested in didn't give me an interview invite I might try it. Well, not contest it, really, but I might write a letter explaining why I thought they should take a second look. It might help to call the school first, find out what specifically prompted the rejection, and then address that issue. It would be too much effort to do for just any school, though. I'd have to be really motivated to go to the trouble.

Originally posted by KarateGirl
I've been worried that I might be rejected pre-interview by some schools because I'm not sure if my app tells the whole story, so to speak. It never occured to me to contest a rejection. I wouldn't do it for every school, but if one I was really interested in didn't give me an interview invite I might try it. Well, not contest it, really, but I might write a letter explaining why I thought they should take a second look. It might help to call the school first, find out what specifically prompted the rejection, and then address that issue. It would be too much effort to do for just any school, though. I'd have to be really motivated to go to the trouble.

I never really thought about doing this either, but if I get a rejection pre-interview from my top school then I will definetly be writting a letter after reading this thread:D