Continental Education vs. International Education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think that society looks down on people that are educated outside of the continental US? Many of the Caribbean Medical Schools are recognized and accredited, yet still it seems that you’re not going to be a trusted DO or MD, being looked at like you bought your license off eBay. What do you think??

Members don't see this ad.

Many of the Caribbean Medical Schools are recognized and accredited

Accredited by who is the key question. As an MD practicing in the US life is easier if the school is accredited by the LCME.

Having said that, how many doctors have you seen as a patient? How many times did you ask where they went to medical school?

I really don't know how society views these things persay, but from my perspective it seems that patients iare nterested in competent docs with a good bedside manner. i have respect for anyone who has jumped the hurdles to get their MD or DO and finish their residency. BTW, there are many physicians in practice that are IMG's, and I don't think much thought is given to where they went to medical school as long as they are good docs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't know how society views these things persay, but from my perspective it seems that patients are interested in competent docs with a good bedside manner. I have respect for anyone who has jumped the hurdles to get their MD or DO and then finish their residency. BTW, there are many physicians in practice that are IMG's and I don't think much thought is given to where they went to medical school but that they are good doctors.

People will tell you all sorts of things on here. Most people who defend something are the ones that are doing it. Here is the truth. MD means that you are a doctor. DO means that your patients will ask you what DO means, and then be fine with it. A diploma with the name of third world country, you better get ready to treat people with medicaid because I sure as hell would rather go to a RNP. I went to college, I know who went the the school where, and the guys that are getting the island education will not touch me or my children with anything sharper than a pillow.

The carribean med schools, as a group, have relatively low standards and were set up with the idea of allowing those US students who did not get into US med school have their 'second chance'. It has nothing to do with American snobbery.

There is a difference between carribean schools and non-US schools that educate doctors for their native countries---i.e Uk med schools, or med schools in Canada would be considered "foreign" med schools yet do not suffer the stigma as Carribean schools (although I am unsure about how they compare during matching).

Many of the carribean schools geared toward US students were not set up to train doctors in their respective countries. They were setup as for-profit institution to fulfill the 'spillover' of the high demand for medical seats. Some of the schools there *are* no better than diploma mills. That is why they have that stigma.

The carribean med schools, as a group, have relatively low standards and were set up with the idea of allowing those US students who did not get into US med school have their 'second chance'. It has nothing to do with American snobbery.

There is a difference between carribean schools and non-US schools that educate doctors for their native countries---i.e Uk med schools, or med schools in Canada would be considered "foreign" med schools yet do not suffer the stigma as Carribean schools (although I am unsure about how they compare during matching).

Many of the carribean schools geared toward US students were not set up to train doctors in their respective countries. They were setup as for-profit institution to fulfill the 'spillover' of the high demand for medical seats. Some of the schools there *are* no better than diploma mills. That is why they have that stigma.

Agree. The caribbean schools largely were not designed to compete with American schools for applicants. They were set up as a cottage industry to attract those American students who didn't glean acceptance to US schools but still wanted a route to become a physician, and had ample tuition dollars. Not that some of the doctors emerging from some of these schools aren't excellent doctors. But the low to non-existant admissions standards of some caribbean places is what gives that whole grouping a black eye.

Canadian Med schools do not have a stigma attached to them. ALL Canadian medical schools are LCME accredited! UK schools are not. Carribean schools are not.

Canadian Med schools do not have a stigma attached to them. ALL Canadian medical schools are LCME accredited! UK schools are not. Carribean schools are not.

Well good for the Canadians. :D

I don't think that the island schools can be compared with UK schools. UK does just fine, as does canada and many many countries that have good schools.

I personally know several doctors that went med school in the Caribbean, like All Saints University in Aruba, who is listed in the International Medical Education Directory (IMED) and is recognized by FAIMER/ECFMG. Graduates are eligible to apply to sit for the USMLE. ASUM is recognized by the Medical Council of Canada (MCC). Graduates are eligible to apply to sit for the Canadian licensing exams as well, understanding that Aruba may be different than the Dominican Republic in education. I know of doctors that went to school there as well. I would trust my life to the ones that I know, because I know that they have worked even harder trying to change that stereo type that they acquired for attending such med schools. I'm all for giving someone a second chance who may have made the wrong career choice at first and realize there passion is in helping people through medicine.