Contingent resignation submitted - Can I still just get out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bubblehead-to-MD

Emergency Blow!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am an active duty submarine officer who submitted a contingent resignation letter to obtain a Letter of Approval for USUHS and HPSP back in August. I am still waiting on a final decision regarding my request.

After giving this much more consideration, I am leaning more towards getting out of the Navy altogether, and putting myself through medical school. Has anyone else gone through the process of submitting the contingent resignation letter, and then deciding not to go to USUHS or utilize the HPSP scholarship? Can you please share your experience with me?

I'm just trying to figure out if this going to be a complete nightmare, or if it will be relatively straightforward, since the contingent resignation is very similar to the unconditional resignation.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

If you owe no time, it should be simple. If not. Well......................

If you owe no time, it should be simple. If not. Well......................

My obligation was fulfilled in August 2006. I am simply remaining on active duty until my PRD for my current assignment.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Punch out (insert appropriate submarine escape lingo) as soon as possible and do med school on your own. You will be waaaaaaaay ahead in the long run.

LOL that could be seen as trying to defraud the government. You put in a false letter of resignation!

Recall your letter, finish your time and get out. I agree, you will be much happier and better off getting civilian training.

Recall your letter, finish your time and get out. I agree, you will be much happier and better off getting civilian training.

Thanks for the feedback! By your statement here, does this mean that I actually have to go through the process of canceling my contingent resignation, and then submitting an unqualified resignation? On one level, that makes sense, but on another, it seems to be extremely inefficient. That settles it! It must be the only way of doing this right, then!

My obligation was fulfilled in August 2006. I am simply remaining on active duty until my PRD for my current assignment.

Thanks!

Just change the letter and your out.

Thanks for the feedback! By your statement here, does this mean that I actually have to go through the process of canceling my contingent resignation, and then submitting an unqualified resignation? On one level, that makes sense, but on another, it seems to be extremely inefficient. That settles it! It must be the only way of doing this right, then!

I second, third, and unanimously approve of the others in their advice to you...rescind your letter and GTFO NOW!!!

There's a program called "Tempory Separation" (I'm not sure if the Navy has it, but the Marines and the Coast Guard have it, and they probably learned it from the Navy) which allows you to resign your commision but they will hold your place for you, up to 2 years. This is the only "no strings attached" contract I've ever seen in the military, sort of the "If you love somthing, set it free...." philosophy. If you are looking for an insurance policy (and from your contingent resignation, I'm guessing you are), this would be it. I did this when I left in case I didn't get in anywhere. It also ensures that they will royally hose up your pay should you decide on HPSP/USUHS.....