Continue clinical experience or get clinical research experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anotherwannaBdoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I will be a first time reapplicant this coming cycle, since the completion of this past cycle I have tried to identify issues with my application as well as expand my school list. One I have identified would be my lack of research experience. One thing I have kept hearing is ADCOMs love to see commitment, I have been working as a medical assistant for 1.5 years and volunteering for an EMS agency (serving a rural area) for 2 years. However going into my second Gap year I feel I have maxed out what I am personally going to get from both Volunteer EMS and Working as a medical assistant, im bored as well as the pay is very low. The only reason I would continue either would be because it is what is best in the long run.

paid Clinical: 2000 hours work as a medical assistant in a doctors office
Volunteer clinical: 900 hours volunteer EMS
Volunteer general: 200 hours community volunteer various events
Shadowing: 150ish hour total between ED/Cardiologist/Primary care
Research:none

1)I was wondering if there would be any advantage to switching up to clinical research, I have a potential job lined up with better pay, working with physician groups combing through charts to enroll patients in clinical trials. Would this negatively impact my application for the next cycle since I would quit my current job and I would have only worked this job for a few months in this new job.

The second part of this would this kind of job help my resume in general, is clinical experience viewed differently than clinical research?

2)I have to opportunity to get a new clinical volunteer job that would also double dip and allow me to also gain more physician shadowing hours, should I take it or "stay committed" to volunteering for a local EMS agency

Any Advice would be much appreciated!! I have a couple of exit interviews lined up with schools I got post-II rejections from in a month or so however the time window I have for option 1 wont allow me to get advice from them regarding this.

Members don't see this ad.

I would take the clinical research position if I were you!
1. You have no research experience
2. You’re not getting much out of your current experiences, after having done them for a long time
3. You could learn new meaningful skills

Could you do the research one along with either the MA or the volunteer EMS? The reason I say keep one is so that you’d still have that longevity piece in. Is there a potential for leadership in any of those?

Reactions: 1 user
I could still do the EMS gig along with research. I don't think either outright have true leadership options, but I have 3 years worth of leadership demonstrated going back to the college days.

I just feel like i'm caught in no man's land in regards to timing with a new job and having it make an impression on this upcoming cycle

Members don't see this ad :)