1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Continue Research?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bygrace, Dec 27, 2008.

1. bygrace

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey, I'm kind of torn right now. Any opinion would help me right now, so I'd greatly appreciate your input.

I started scientific research through a competitive undergrad program at my school, the summer after my freshmen year, and I somehow was able to land it with an amazing professor. One of the other undergrads I worked with, who applied to med school and got in, told me that "Whatever he (our P.I.) signs his name on, is gold."

So I continued research up until now, the end of the first semester of my sophomore year. I received academic credit for this research, but since I'm a non-science major, I can no longer receive credit for any research I do... so if I were to continue to do research, it would be purely voluntary work.

I loved doing research, but I know that research is not something I'd like to pursue in my future... medical school is. Because I can't receive any credit and because I'd like to use any time that I would have to do other things (volunteer, shadow doctors), I naturally decided to stop my research career here, but..... my P.I. and my main supervisor have told me that my work is excellent and that a published article is really, really likely in the near future from my project.

I need as much time as I can get, and especially to try other things relevant to the medical field. Should I stick to research, even though I don't look to pursue research at all? What to do?

Plus, I just received a C+ in Orgo I... Maybe sticking to research might help my application? Ah goodness... any input would help... thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    do it! haha well i would do it.
    i have done a lot of research as just volunteer work without getting money or credit for it. its an EC and it can only help esp if the guy is as.. powerful as you seem to suggest..

overall message: i would definitely continue doing it. if you find oyour grades suffering BECAUSE of research then maybe cut back on the hours a little or dont do the week before an exam or something.

4. Spooner13

Spooner13 Spooner13
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Getting research published as an undergrad is gold itself. If it is at all possible, I would try to continue with your project. This would be a home run to put on your applications. Thus, it would definitely be worth it to do the research without getting credit hours. The above poster is right, though. Don't let this get in the way of getting good grades. But realize that most undergraduates that do research do not get published. This is a very big deal and will look incredible on applications.

5. NickNaylor

NickNaylor Thank You for Smoking
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I understand exactly how you're feeling. I've been pretty involved with research but am pretty sure that I don't want to be a scientist.

If you enjoy it, I would stick it through at least to the publication. Though research seems to be down-played in the application process, there's no doubt that it can be significant. Plus, if nothing else, you'll have a fantastic opportunity for a LOR. This is my rationale for sticking with research even though I'd really like to use my time for other things. To each his own, I suppose.

6. AdmiralChz

AdmiralChz ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Pretty good self analysis. Like volunteering, research needs to be something you enjoy and at the same time be able to dedicate time to it without messing up the rest of your work. If you take a hard look and see that you have to give it up to keep your grades up, then drop it. But if you can put in extra effort to make both work, and you enjoy it, then go for it! But a good publication doesn't seem to make up for a low gpa so keep that in mind.

I personally hate basic science research, and nothing is worse than doing something that you don't have to that you dislike! Others around here will tell you that you must have research to be competitive for med school - false! Do what you enjoy - if that happens to be research, do what you can to continue. My volunteering didn't get me credit but that didn't stop me - and I have liked doing it so I kept at it!

Hope this helps! Best of luck!

7. bygrace

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    wow.. thank you really, all so much. I have lots more thinking still to do.. haha, but all of your input has helped me see different perspectives.. Thanks so much. Hope you all have a great new year!

8. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    btw, just to throw i tout there, i also know that research is not for me... but i sure kept at it! lol;

9. RevivedPreMed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The fact that you are only doing it because you can get credit for it shows that you really do not love it.
    I say drop it so they can give the spot to someone who will really enjoy it and appreciate it.
    I've been doing research for a while now and I love that the things I'm doing will mold how I treat my patients in the future. I think it's fascinating to be involved in the evolution of medicine. But, I'm a nerd so I realize not everyone thinks the way I do.

10. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i think as premeds we do quite a few many things that we are not die hard about, but i think if you are not miserable in the research AND this guy is as good as you say AND you may get a publication then i think you would be very silly to stop.. this could help your application in 2-3 distinct ways and who knows? maybe this is what ultimately pushed adcoms to accept you?
    also, when are you applying? if you are aplying this summer then will it kill you to do research for one more semester?

11. Forthegood

Forthegood ProcrastinationAficionado
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    A really really likely paper is still not a paper. Most papers (for me) have taken about a semester to write, revise, send off, revise, and publish. Maybe your group will hasten the process, but don't expect it to be quick.

I'd stick with it if you enjoy it at all, because it looks very good on resumes, even if you dont want to do it. It certainly helped me getting into med school.

But if it is too much, then you can always drop it later or cut the hours down to near-nothing. Just don't burn bridges if you don't have to. IMO