Continuing Board Certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yeasports

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently completed a survey from ABFM on board recertification. I am sure everyone got this survey. I feel it would be much easier if the sit in exam was eliminated and our modules cme etc. counted for this. AAP switched to this. I only do sports and while it would be great to only have to cert in sports I would still maintain my FM boards to be honest. Any insight?

Members don't see this ad.

I recently completed a survey from ABFM on board recertification. I am sure everyone got this survey. I feel it would be much easier if the sit in exam was eliminated and our modules cme etc. counted for this. AAP switched to this. I only do sports and while it would be great to only have to cert in sports I would still maintain my FM boards to be honest. Any insight?

I have a friend on the ABFM board. They're seriously considering eliminating the high-stakes exam. Stay tuned.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wait not even initial cert? Kids have it easier now a days!

No, they'd still have to pass the initial certification. The difference would be that as long as you kept up with your CME and MOC, you would maintain your board certification without the need to retake the exam every 10 years like we do now.

Reactions: 1 users
At risk of sounding like a brown noser, the ABFM does seem pretty responsive to our concerns - like separating the SAMs recently.

They do listen, I'll give them that. There is the financial thing, however...which is what we all give them crap about.

Reactions: 1 user

I agree. The exam is complete BS. If I didn't need to stay on insurance company networks I would never take it again. CME only.

No, they'd still have to pass the initial certification. The difference would be that as long as you kept up with your CME and MOC, you would maintain your board certification without the need to retake the exam every 10 years like we do now.

That would go a long way to restore confidence. Another way would be to be able to do accredited CME from other organizations and have it count toward MOC. Why should they hold the monopoly.

I think some form of motivation to study periodically is a good thing, especially topics that come up less common in clinic/practice. Not saying this has to come in the form of a q10yr exam, but definitely not saying that the current ABFM MOC modules are adequate in their current form.

I think some form of motivation to study periodically is a good thing, especially topics that come up less common in clinic/practice. Not saying this has to come in the form of a q10yr exam, but definitely not saying that the current ABFM MOC modules are adequate in their current form.

MOC modules are complete crap. I got more learning done in one hour in a CME event than I did all three years of being forced to do their crap formerly known as CME.

I agree. The exam is complete BS. If I didn't need to stay on insurance company networks I would never take it again. CME only.
I agree, the exam is total BS waste of time and money