Contract Surprises, Common?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AFMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How common is it for practices to push back the starting date of a few times, contrary to the contract. How about promised signing bonuses weeks late or licensing reimbursement months late? Do these things just happen with big companies? I'm trying to decide if I should see what I need to do to get out of this contract.

I've had only pleasent surprises with a different job in the past where I got a lot of perks not in the contract. It was actually a much better job In real life than in the contract.

Does everyone play fast and lose with these contracts, or is my experience unique?

Members don't see this ad.

I was allowed to start on time, I got my signing bonus within 1-2 weeks of signing, I got a residency stipend paid always on time. I’ve been reimbursed within 1-2 days for everything I’ve submitted.

I’ve had surprises, but they’ve all turned out to be positive (such as being paid extra, separate from my base salary, to be on call when that wasn’t clear in the contract; bonuses for supervising mid-levels, etc).