Contributing to Our College: Secondary Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent257

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I came across this secondary question that states:

We have a rich history and a valued mission. Each individual contributes to, supports and enriches our community. Please share with us how you plan on contributing to our College.

Mission: To excel and innovates in education, research, and delivery of compassionate care in our culture of diversity, spirited inquiry, collaboration, and opportunity

I had some ideas on answering this question. Any recommendations?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Idea One:
Since I was 10, I always loved working with technology and computers. Talk about my interest and passion for technology, and tie that it to the school's mission to further clinical and research development

Idea Two
I am a crisis counselor, and frequently hear stories from clients about how many of them don't have access to proper mental or physical health resources. Some of them (even as young) even note that they don't have a home and do not have access to any support network. I would perhaps tie this in to the school's mission/desire of working with underserved communities.

Idea Three
I have always had a passion for teaching, and in my positions, my professors have stated I have gone above and beyond the position requirements. I always look to innovate my teaching methods, though I did talk about this heavily in my personal statement. I would ty this in the school's mission to innovate in regards to education

Members don't see this ad.

You might be able to use all three if you weave them together right. Anyway - best of luck!

I only have 200 words. Aren't these prompts suppose to have a focus, or can they be a mesh of multiple ideas?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey dude - didn't know there was a 200 word limit.

I'd say choose what is most personal to you or you are more passionate about. Just off the top, Options one and two seem the most interesting to me. Number two is probably broadly the most unique, however I know someone in my med school who is super techy and he DOES contribute to our class with his knowledge.

Choose one and run with it, you have good ideas.

If this is the case, what would you recommend? Combining the ideas, using one, or scrapping these ideas all together?

Tough. The word length really defines how you can answer this. It sounds like a diversity essay, but you can't just respond with a canned diversity response that you wrote for a different school. Have you written any other diversity essays?

The terms innovate, education, research, spirited inquiry, collaboration, opportunity all imply that this school values creative or innovative intellectual pursuits. The school also values compassionate care, but I think all medical schools value that, so that doesn't set them apart. Do you have solid examples with regards to your love of technology? Or is there a way that you can give a solid example of your innovation as a teacher? I would think along the lines of what makes you unique or cool, but something that also applies to the words italicized above.

Tough. The word length really defines how you can answer this. It sounds like a diversity essay, but you can't just respond with a canned diversity response that you wrote for a different school. Have you written any other diversity essays?

The terms innovate, education, research, spirited inquiry, collaboration, opportunity all imply that this school values creative or innovative intellectual pursuits. The school also values compassionate care, but I think all medical schools value that, so that doesn't set them apart. Do you have solid examples with regards to your love of technology? Or is there a way that you can give a solid example of your innovation as a teacher? I would think along the lines of what makes you unique or cool, but something that also applies to the words italicized above.

I see. In regards to my innovation as a teacher, I would often take complex biological mechanisms for my freshman students, and find ways to visually represent them better through Microsoft PowerPoint. For example, I managed to animate through PowerPoint the GPCR mechanism as well as the Electron Transport Chain. I frequently found that many professors just tend to read off of static slides with laser pointers, which really make it hard to visualize for students. I did mention this in my personal statement. Additionally, I did use the CC thing for multiple schools, and tied it in with the underserved mission.

I see. In regards to my innovation as a teacher, I would often take complex biological mechanisms for my freshman students, and find ways to visually represent them better through Microsoft PowerPoint. For example, I managed to animate through PowerPoint the GPCR mechanism as well as the Electron Transport Chain. I frequently found that many professors just tend to read off of static slides with laser pointers, which really make it hard to visualize for students. I did mention this in my personal statement. Additionally, I did use the CC thing for multiple schools, and tied it in with the underserved mission.

I think you can somehow combine the teaching and technology into something very interesting. I have also done crisis counseling - it's incredibly rewarding. I know you can show how that works with compassionate care, if you would rather go in that direction. Does this school tend toward research or more primary care? That would be the big deciding factor. I am still leaning toward the teaching one. Perhaps @Goro will have a suggestion?

I think you can somehow combine the teaching and technology into something very interesting. I have also done crisis counseling - it's incredibly rewarding. I know you can show how that works with compassionate care, if you would rather go in that direction. Does this school tend toward research or more primary care? That would be the big deciding factor. I am still leaning toward the teaching one. Perhaps @Goro will have a suggestion?

It's Drexel. The first few values they list on their mission page revolve around education and research, although many say the school values service.

Hey All,

I came across this secondary question that states:

We have a rich history and a valued mission. Each individual contributes to, supports and enriches our community. Please share with us how you plan on contributing to our College.

Mission: To excel and innovates in education, research, and delivery of compassionate care in our culture of diversity, spirited inquiry, collaboration, and opportunity

I had some ideas on answering this question. Any recommendations?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Idea One:
Since I was 10, I always loved working with technology and computers. Talk about my interest and passion for technology, and tie that it to the school's mission to further clinical and research development

Idea Two
I am a crisis counselor, and frequently hear stories from clients about how many of them don't have access to proper mental or physical health resources. Some of them (even as young) even note that they don't have a home and do not have access to any support network. I would perhaps tie this in to the school's mission/desire of working with underserved communities.

Idea Three
I have always had a passion for teaching, and in my positions, my professors have stated I have gone above and beyond the position requirements. I always look to innovate my teaching methods, though I did talk about this heavily in my personal statement. I would ty this in the school's mission to innovate in regards to education
2>>>>3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>1