Controversial Answer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AKPsiMD84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On my secondaries I got asked about any research or self-education I have undertaken and mentioned learning how to invest in the stock market in order to better secure my financial freedom. Would the admins view this as controversial?

Members don't see this ad.

On my secondaries I got asked about any research or self-education I have undertaken and mentioned learning how to invest in the stock market in order to better secure my financial freedom. Would the admins view this as controversial?

Yes, very. Medical schools require you to renounce all your worldly possessions and donate them to a workers' collective.

Seriously, I don't think it would be controversial per se, but it might not be the sort of thing they are interested in.

To be fair, I've seen more paranoid posts on this site, but who's going to fault you for learning about managing money...?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, very. Medical schools require you to renounce all your worldly possessions and donate them to a workers' collective.

Seriously, I don't think it would be controversial per se, but it might not be the sort of thing they are interested in.

I agree, and I'm thinking you could've "spun" that a bit differently: instead of the "securing my own financial freedom" angle, it might have sounded more appealing to go for the "interested in being an entrepreneur and like to keep abreast of world affairs/politics."

Learning to manage money is not controversial at all. Any smart person should learn to manage his own money, and to do it well.
I agree with Keyzer though; you can use this question to further talk about your motivations for medicine instead of giving the current answer. It isn't controversial or bad, it just seem unrelated.

p.s. As someone with a lot of assets, NOT learning about the stock market is perhaps the dumbest thing I can imagine a person would do. Money loses its value rapidly when unmanaged, and the difference between 5% annual return and 7% is just humongous in the long run.

Man, I should have used that answer:laugh:. I dont think its a bad response, but usually it seems like med schools are looking for something more medical related.

Man, I should have used that answer:laugh:. I dont think its a bad response, but usually it seems like med schools are looking for something more medical related.

IMHO, ADCOM people get pretty tired of reading cookie-cutter answers, so anything out of the ordinary they might like and take extra consideration into it.

My secondaries have a job title listed on them that is properly translated to "fleece people dumb enough to allow it". I don't think this will sink you.

One "common interview question" asks about how you will pay for your education, be prepared to discuss it. These are the kinds of things that, if not true or embellished, can really screw you. Personally, if I saw that on the app of someone I was interviewing, I'd pick their brain on the topic as a litmus test if the rest of their app was BS.

To be fair, I've seen more paranoid posts on this site, but who's going to fault you for learning about managing money...?

Lol! I wrote this worrying about the unholy trinity of Politics, Religion(the irony), and MONEY.