Controversial Secondary Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplegold201635

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I'm trying to answer an essay that wants me to talk about a time I impacted someone's life and for whatever reason, the only thing I can think about right now is the time one of my friends thought she was pregnant and I helped calm her down, make a plan, and get all of her options together. I'm not going to talk explicit conversations and what she was planning to do because I don't want adcoms to think I have a political stance, but I am going to make it clear that I didn't have any impact on the decision being made, I just helped her in the process.

Good idea, bad idea, thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see the controversy, so I think you will be fine.

I think it would be controversial if you write that you told your friend either "you must get an abortion; you are too young/can't handle this and your life will be over" or if you say "you absolutely can't get an abortion. How could you consider such thing evil devil woman?!"

Acknowledging all the options that exist and considering the implications of each is exactly what somone should do when a major, unexpected life event occurs. And giving impartial advice about an emotionally charged event is a good sign of maturity. (Also good luck with your applications!)

I like it, but don't take my word, wiat for some real adcoms to weigh in

it's more interesting than 1/2 the essay ideas I see around here, I think you can pull it off if you're senstive and mature

Members don't see this ad :)
This will make a great essay!

Hi,

So I'm trying to answer an essay that wants me to talk about a time I impacted someone's life and for whatever reason, the only thing I can think about right now is the time one of my friends thought she was pregnant and I helped calm her down, make a plan, and get all of her options together. I'm not going to talk explicit conversations and what she was planning to do because I don't want adcoms to think I have a political stance, but I am going to make it clear that I didn't have any impact on the decision being made, I just helped her in the process.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

This is an excellent situation to discuss and has the potential for a really good essay. But why pretend that you have no political stance? Of course you have your own viewpoints. The point here though is that it is not your viewpoints that matter, but rather your friend's, and that you took pains to make sure your personal stance did not influence your friend's decision.