Controversy, controversy! What to include on the app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Terna

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I have three controversial questions.
1) On my second semester freshman year, my GPA dropped a little. I would like to explain why, but there are many reasons. One had to do with my uncle unexpectedly dying a few days before finals, but the other had to do with my recovering from an eating disorder with almost no help.
Should I only include the uncle's death on the PS? (I will include it in a positive way, saying "I overcame challenges")
Or, should I also include the eating disorder recovery? I am DEATHLY worried that this will scream "liability," in that they will assume I'll relapse and cause a big problem.
However, that is honestly the biggest reason for the dip.

2) Last semester I started doing tribal bellydance as a club, and I fell in love with it. (Tribal isn't as "ditzy" as cabaret, it's more like a mixture of modern dance and classical middle eastern dances. Look it up on youtube if you're curious.) I really want to keep doing it for as many years as I can. Include this? Yes/no?

3) Last but not least, I write science fiction stories in my spare time (when I have some... which is definitely not these days). I am fairly serious about it, I want to get a few stories or even books published someday. Include? I would certainly just do it in my spare time, none of the other things would interfere with my medical career in any way.

That's it! Please tell me what you think! :)

Members don't see this ad.

1) Are you talking Personal Statement here? Or Activities section? Both?

2) How big was this GPA drop? If it was significant, it might be worth explaining, but it was also your freshman year. If your grades have been high since, then you might be able to get away without explaining it at all on your application. It's ultimately up to you either way.

3) They're hobbies/extracurriculars. They have nothing to do with medicine. Why wouldn't you include them?

1) Are you talking Personal Statement here? Or Activities section? Both?

2) How big was this GPA drop? If it was significant, it might be worth explaining, but it was also your freshman year. If your grades have been high since, then you might be able to get away without explaining it at all on your application. It's ultimately up to you either way.

3) They're hobbies/extracurriculars. They have nothing to do with medicine. Why wouldn't you include them?

1) Activities could show the writing/dancing, and the eating disorder would go in the PS.
2) The GPA drop... was about .3. Might not seem big, but I'll tell you flat out: it went down to a 3.2 from a 3.5, and since then in my junior year I got 3.75 in the fall and 3.83 in the spring.
3) I don't know if I should include them because people might see bellydancing as a very sexual type of dance, and I definitely don't want to be seen that way in my app (for obvious reasons). The scifi writing, I don't know if they like that or not.

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Activities could show the writing/dancing, and the eating disorder would go in the PS.
2) The GPA drop... was about .3. Might not seem big, but I'll tell you flat out: it went down to a 3.2 from a 3.5, and since then in my junior year I got 3.75 in the fall and 3.83 in the spring.
3) I don't know if I should include them because people might see bellydancing as a very sexual type of dance, and I definitely don't want to be seen that way in my app (for obvious reasons). The scifi writing, I don't know if they like that or not.

:)

Hmm... Your drop doesn't seem that bad, especially since you kept better than a B average. I dunno... it's up to you. Might want to get other people's opinions on that one.

No, bellydancing is just a type of dance. And you enjoyed doing it. No reason to not put it on your application. Worst case scenario is that they are put off by it and bring it up in an interview. But it shows diversity of interests, so I don't see why there's something wrong with putting it on. Who knows... maybe you'll get an adcom member that belly danced for a while. Besides, you do have those 1300 or whatever characters to explain it... nice opportunity to show your passion for it.

For the scifi writing... you shouldn't keep something from your application just because adcoms might not like it (as far as activities... if you want to get into things like ethics, you should be more cautious, obviously). It's part of what you do, and you'll likely continue to do it. Besides, there's some very good scifi authors that were doctors first. F Paul Wilson is the one that jumps to my mind now (totally read The Select before you go to med school...). Again, it'll provide a nice topic of discussion if they're interested, and they'll ignore it if they don't.

For two of my activities, I have things where I worked on the computer several hours a week. I help run a blogging website that gives out scholarships, and I used to run a fan site. If they don't like it, they'll ignore it, but it's something that I put a lot of time and effort into doing, so I included it.

I want to second you can't leave stuff off your application that are important to you just because someone on an admission comittee may not like it.

Even if they think belly dancing or sci-fi is silly it's a topic of discussion for your interviews. And most aren't rude enough to call you on disliking your hobbies (although I have heard horror stories, so be prepared).

And just FYI, my med school's talent show always has a belly dancing act in it, and one of my friend's doctor's preceptors has a published short story in a Star Trek collection.

well your drop doesnt seem that bad, so if it were me i would not call attention to it for no reason. if your uncle dying or recovering from the eating disorder were significant factors in you choice to pursue medicine then definitly write about them in the personal statment, but if they were challenging that you over came, save em for secondaries.

absolutely include belly dancing and sci fi writing! that is so interesting!!! the only way i would possibly cut it out would be if you were out of space and having to chose from some medical experience. but otherwise you are passionate about it and thats what they want to see!

also congratulations of getting over your eating disorder that is an amazing accomplishment!!!

3) Last but not least, I write science fiction stories in my spare time (when I have some... which is definitely not these days). I am fairly serious about it, I want to get a few stories or even books published someday. Include? I would certainly just do it in my spare time do, none of the other things would interfere with my medical career in any way.

Until you actually publish, it's not a meaningful EC. I personally wouldn't put it down. But when they ask at interviews what you do for fun when you are not in class, and they generally will, feel free to bring it up. I might be more inclined to list the dancing because it is associated with being in a club (not an on your own hobby) and it is more unique. The downside concern I might have is that you might not be taken as seriously as a professional if you get known as the belly dancer.

You know, one of my wife's med school classmates was big into belly dancing. She matched to Beth Israel Deaconess and stayed on there for a fellowship (her top choice residency/fellowship).

I really don't think anyone will care about it, at least no more than if you played fortepiano or painted with oils or .... It's a hobby, it rounds you out. I'd put it in, especially since you had leadership roles in the club. Double bonus.

my 2 cents-
* do not draw attention to the GPA drop...if they ASK in an interview mention the uncle maybe...but def NOT the ED. People in this field will know relapsing is not uncommon.

*Do mention the tribal belly dancing. I'm sure you will have lots of interview questions about it, and I think it will be something you can speak about confortably and enthusiastically.