Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Conundrum! Send in AMCAS or wait for next MCAT???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Pinki, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Pinki

Pinki Sassy Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm getting conflicting advice from advisers...one said submit, one said hold off.

With a 27 (11VR, 9BS, 7PS, Writing T) and a 3.9 post bacc GPA (3.5 overall from years ago), should I transmit my AMCAS NOW? Or will schools look at that 7 and automatically purge me from the system? (I'm not an idiot, I actually misbubbled 3 passages of PS and discovered it as time was called!!! Anxiety city! It's a wonder I recovered from that to ace the writing sample!)

I've already started the summer study ritual for the inevitable August MCAT. And I've marked that "retake" box on the AMCAS. Should I transmit now, or wait, *sigh* until August? It just seems like such a waste of precious admissions time! HELP! I'm just a bit confused!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bikini Princess

7+ Year Member

It's always a tough call. But given your situation, you should apply now. Given your information, you will undoubtably do better on the next MCAT retake.

4. Pinki

Pinki Sassy Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks BP,

I'm just worried that they'll reject me out right before the scores arrive in October...but I also know how critical it is to have AMCAS in early. Hrmmphhh.

Maybe I'll just call a few admissions offices myself and get a feel for what they think...anonymously that is!

5. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

I'd say submit now. You have no idea how long it might take AMCAS to Process your application (especially those transcripts from years ago). And, unless you're applying to the very top schools, a 27 will not get you screened out. Your goal should be to have your application files complete, including secondaries, at all schools before those August scores are released, so that your files can go to review immediately once the scores are in there.