Quantcast

Conundrum with publication section of work/activities

Travel to Ghana on the Ultimate Med Immersion
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NapoleonBonaparte

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have several posters and publications that I don't think I can fit in 1 slot (I can't use 2 slots because all 15 are filled). Problem is two of the pubs are in nature and cell and I also have 2 first authors. I currently have my google scholars profile link and a lengthy reflection of what I learned (how to write scientifically blah blah, which I left out from the research most meaningful activity).

1. Do I still try to list all of them with some heavy abbreviation?

2. Is citing my google scholar profile bad (in case adcoms don't look at it at all)?

3. How do I distinguish poster vs presentation?

4. Do people write reflections for their publication section?

What do you think is the best way to go about doing this? Thank you!

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I suggest that you note “multiple publications In nature, cell and other peer reviewed journals in the area of” RESEARCH. Then link to Google scholars. Personally I would not put down what you learn from the research because that should be in a different entry.

@Catalystik May have other suggestions

Reaction score
I have several posters and publications that I don't think I can fit in 1 slot (I can't use 2 slots because all 15 are filled). Problem is two of the pubs are in nature and cell and I also have 2 first authors. I currently have my google scholars profile link and a lengthy reflection of what I learned (how to write scientifically blah blah, which I left out from the research most meaningful activity).

2. Is citing my google scholar profile bad (in case adcoms don't look at it at all)?

What do you think is the best way to go about doing this? Thank you!
1 & 3) That is an option.
Here is an example of a super condensed format using PMID#.
Abridged bibliography in the following format:
Shortened Title; Shortened Journal/Book; Pubmed ID/Location/Status.

1st Author:
TSUP; BBA; PMID 22192777
Rhodopsin Superfamily; Nature; PMID 22532111
Efflux Proteins: Microbial Efflux Pumps; Horizon Scientific Press; Accepted (date)
Lead and Mercury Transporters (2 articles); Encycl. of Metalloproteins; ISBN 978-1-4614-1532-9 Jan. '13
MFS; FEBS J; PMID 22458847

2nd Author:
PTS; ELS; Search PTS on www.els.net
Transp. Protein Evol.; Protein Families; Accepted (date).

Co-author:
Phylogenetic char.; JMMB; PMID 22286036
APC; JMMB; PMID 22627175
Transposons; Mutagenesis; Accepted (date)
Mer; WASP; Accepted (date).
You could add a section below for Posters, unless you've already listed a more prestigious venue for that data sharing (a pub), with truncated titles or a summary of content and your authorship position, conference, date.

2) It would not be a traditional approach. A lengthy reflection that doesn't fit in the Primary Application would not be well received.

4) No.

Reactions: 1 user

aldol16

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

I would list all your publications under the publications section without any commentary. The commentary goes with your research experiences. It should all be able to fit if you use a standard citation style. But if for some reason it doesn't, you can include PMIDs and/or DOIs.

If they wanted to look, they would look without you citing it and if they didn't want to look, you citing it isn't going to make them look. If you're already citing all of your papers in the publications, there's no reason to also include your Google scholars profile.

By posters vs. presentations, are you talking about posters that you aren't presenting? Or more along the lines of poster sessions vs. podium presentations?

I haven't heard of people doing this. Commentary typically goes in the research experiences section.