Converting 30 day supplies to 90 day supplies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDude559

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a prescription is written for a 30 day supply with 11 refills, is it legal to dispense it as a 90 day supply with 9 refills?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you mean 3 refills? And it may be state specific, but I am not aware of any laws that specifically make it legal to do this and I know some states specifically forbid it.

Members don't see this ad :)
In California, it is not allow. You would need to call the prescriber.

Did you mean 3 refills? And it may be state specific, but I am not aware of any laws that specifically make it legal to do this and I know some states specifically forbid it.

Yep. If the state allows it, then it cuts to 3 refills. Also, this depends on the insurance plan, as some plans will allow for this.

cvs system allows it. where it says prescribed quantity you still input 30. refills 11. however, where it says dispense quantity, you input whatever quantity they want.

cvs system allows it. where it says prescribed quantity you still input 30. refills 11. however, where it says dispense quantity, you input whatever quantity they want.

just because cvs system allows it does not mean its always legal.

This is a state specific question. We do it all the time in Wisconsin because Medicaid requires 90 day supplies on many medications. It is just easier for us to just change it than trying to reach prescriber. We have also taken to the practice of getting prescribers to sign protocols for the automatic conversion to 90 day supplies for non-controlled medications.

Ask your state board of pharmacy. Just as important, ask the patient's insurance company.

Depends on your state, IL law specifically allows this, including for control's (but not for CII's.)