Converting astigmatism prescription to normal contact lens prescription

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applehead

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
Quick question from an MD
I have recently been switched by my optometrist to astigmatism contact lenses as she says my eyes have changed and cannot wear the normal ones anymore. However I really do not like the astigmatism ones (they are way more uncomfortable and make my eyes really tired). My optometrist has however told me I cannot go back to normal lenses.

Can anyone tell me how to convert my current prescription back to normal lenses?

My current glasses prescription is:
Right - Sph -3.50, Cyl -1.00, Axis 162.0
Left - Sph -3.00, Cyl -1.25, Axis 160.0

My currentl contact lens prescription is:
Rght - Sph -3.25, Cyl -0.75, x160
Left - Sph -3.00, Cyl -1.25, x 160

If someone could convert it to normal lenses I would be so grateful!!
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

based on that rx I don't see why you can't go back to "normal lenses", and I doubt that any OD told you "that you can't go back"

what you are asking for is a spherical equivalent, and that's a somewhat subjective number, best arrived at through trial.

go back to your doctor and tell them your concerns, or go elsewhere

Hi
Quick question from an MD
I have recently been switched by my optometrist to astigmatism contact lenses as she says my eyes have changed and cannot wear the normal ones anymore. However I really do not like the astigmatism ones (they are way more uncomfortable and make my eyes really tired). My optometrist has however told me I cannot go back to normal lenses.

Can anyone tell me how to convert my current prescription back to normal lenses?

My current glasses prescription is:
Right - Sph -3.50, Cyl -1.00, Axis 162.0
Left - Sph -3.00, Cyl -1.25, Axis 160.0

My currentl contact lens prescription is:
Rght - Sph -3.25, Cyl -0.75, x160
Left - Sph -3.00, Cyl -1.25, x 160

If someone could convert it to normal lenses I would be so grateful!!
Thanks

Did you try more than one type? Not all contact lenses have the same modulus and edge design. Your own eye and eyelid anatomy will affect how the lens fits and feels.

Because one type of astigmatism lens failed doesn't mean that another one won't be perfectly comfortable and give you better vision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you try more than one type? Not all contact lenses have the same modulus and edge design. Your own eye and eyelid anatomy will affect how the lens fits and feels.

Because one type of astigmatism lens failed doesn't mean that another one won't be perfectly comfortable and give you better vision.

Hi I have tried 3 types of astigmatism lens now and find them all much more uncomfortable than previous spherical lenses.

Hence why I would love someone to convert the prescription for me….

Hi I have tried 3 types of astigmatism lens now and find them all much more uncomfortable than previous spherical lenses.

Hence why I would love someone to convert the prescription for me….

ask your doctor to write you a prescription for the "normal kind", asking us to just "convert it" not only is a dumb idea, but is against the rules of this forum.

What is it with people on this forum wanting blurry vision all at once?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many Docs consider Cyl of -0.75 as roughly the borderline or "cut-off" between prescribing normal and astigmatism type lenses. The sphere lenses you want won't give you optimal vision.

Ask your Doctor about the Acuvue Oasys 1 day moist for astigmatism lenses to see if it is a good fit for you (may be more comfortable or tolerable from personal experience). You can emphasize to your Doctor regarding your concerns with comfort and that you were more comfortable with sphere lenses. I doubt he/she will just brush it off. Look for a solution together is the better way to go.