Converting lecture+lab to credit hour

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gategal07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to a university that used 1 credit hour for ALL classes. They also included labs in this credit. So, for example, I received 1 credit hour for "General Chemistry w/ Lab". I have taken courses at several universities and want to figure out the GPA that AMCAS will calculate for me.
For AMCAS, how many credit hours is a lecture and how many is a lab? I was told that I should use 3 credits for normal classes and 4 credits for classes w/ lab. A slight difference in conversion would end up making a huge difference in my overall GPA calculation, so I want to make sure this is what I should do. PLEASE HELP!!

*I know that I will not be entering this information into my application--this is just a personal calculation so that I know how much each of my grades are influencing my total GPA.

Also, one of the courses I took at another university was 1.25 credit hours for physiology w/ lab. How would that factor in? THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

I also went to a college that was 1credit for all classes and my old advisor told me that all the classes were considered 4credit hours (3 classes was considered full time, and it's 12credit hours at other places). Have you tried calling your school's registrar?

Yeah same boat here. If you turn over my transcript, it says directly on the back of it, for credit hour purposes you may consider one course with lab 4.3 cr/hr and one course without lab 3.3 cr/hr.

Moral of the story, look at your transcript I am sure it will explain it. If not, call the registrar.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah same boat here. If you turn over my transcript, it says directly on the back of it, for credit hour purposes you may consider one course with lab 4.3 cr/hr and one course without lab 3.3 cr/hr.

Moral of the story, look at your transcript I am sure it will explain it. If not, call the registrar.

4.3 per hour?? thought it was 4 per hour? are you sure about the extra .3 (FOR AMCAS purposes)

4.3 per hour?? thought it was 4 per hour? are you sure about the extra .3 (FOR AMCAS purposes)

It is totally dependent upon the individual school. My undergraduate institution, while considering 1 class 1 credit for its own purposes, claims that the classes are equivalent to 4.3 credit/hours for a lab, and 3.3 credit/hours for a non-lab. It has nothing to do with AMCAS.