converting Newman to Fischer projection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vapor1122

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Newman_projection_butane_-sc.png

I'll use that as an example. Could someone explain to me how that can be converted to a Fischer projection for R/S determination? (I know it's not chiral, just humor me
tongue.gif
)

Members don't see this ad.

Newman_projection_butane_-sc.png

I'll use that as an example. Could someone explain to me how that can be converted to a Fischer projection for R/S determination? (I know it's not chiral, just humor me
tongue.gif
)
you are looking at this newman projection from the top view and the vertical substituents CH3 is pointing back while the H is pointing forward (from the top perspective).. so when you convert to fischer, you need to keep in mind for the fisher, the vertical substituents, the one on the bottom and the top mean the substituent is pointing to the back.. so for the bottom half of the fischer projection, you need switch the substituents

fisher would look something like this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/andyjlee/organic%20structures/Fischer.gif
So imagine rotating the bottom half of the newman 180 degrees in order to get the vertical H pointing the other way, and the other substituents will follow in the same way...someone correct me if I am wrong

^^ very nice

yeha just make two legs sticking up (toward you) so one leg digging in (away from you) and just press it down.