Convince professor to override syllabus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ss asd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've missed 1 more than the maximum allowed absences in a class. What can I do to convince the professor to allow me to not fail the class?

I need to miss one more day for a personal matter but can attend 100% of all other classes. Also, I am not failing the class and have a 75%.

I have a meeting in 2 hours.

Members don't see this ad.

I watch this thread a lot, but this is my first post can Goro and Lizzy M help me?

I am sorry, I meant to say @Goro and @LizzyM

Last edited:
21011-2.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why did you miss classes?

Most of these rules are relatively inflexible. Depending on the school and the size of the class, people come up with all sorts of reasons to not attend class. Attendance policies are generally crafted to be generous, so that it is relatively easy to stay well within the bounds of the policy.

How do you convince them to let you off the hook? Beg. Explain your situation and why you are missing a lot of class. Otherwise, withdraw.

Reactions: 6 users
Why did you miss classes?

Most of these rules are relatively inflexible. Depending on the school and the size of the class, people come up with all sorts of reasons to not attend class. Attendance policies are generally crafted to be generous, so that it is relatively easy to stay well within the bounds of the policy.

How do you convince them to let you off the hook? Beg. Explain your situation and why you are missing a lot of class. Otherwise, withdraw.

I strained my back and missed one week. Also, I missed another week because I was busy with Midterms for my Science classes. On random I missed some more classes.

I have missed 13 classes. Class is 4 days a week. I did not know about this policy at first until 20 minutes ago.

Sometimes, I am behind in class and ashamed to come to class because he asks question in class and I don't know the answer.

But I can attend all remaining classes except for one until the semester ends.

I strained my back and missed one week. Also, I missed another week because I was busy with Midterms for my Science classes. On random I missed some more classes.

I have missed 13 classes. Class is 4 days a week. I did not know about this policy at first until 20 minutes ago.
You can make a case, perhaps, for some of those missed days, but 13 days is a lot. It would be hard to make the claim that you didn't know about this policy, since you were provided with the syllabus at the beginning of the semester. I'm with @mimelim

Reactions: 1 users
That is a lot of class to miss. You may stand a chance with a documented medical excuse but I'm guessing that withdrawing is your best option.

You are missing almost a full month of classes. Missing several classes for even a minor medical issue is generally fine, which is why attendance policies are crafted the way they are (so that professors don't have to delve into what is a valid excuse and what isn't). Missing classes because of other classes is not going to fly, neither is simply randomly missing classes.

Ignorance of the syllabus is not an excuse either. Assuming that the professor does not go against the attendance policy (very likely), withdraw and learn to be more conscientious.

Reactions: 7 users
Do I have any chance?

The professor has not added up attendance yet. But I know I have missed 13.

I have 2 days to drop.

The maximum class missed is 12.

I am going to a meeting with the professor for turning in homework in 1 1/2 hour.

Hold very still because I'm going to smack sense into you. You'll feel some slight pressure.

So you were being irresponsible, and poor at time mgt, and the Professor should bend the rules just for you?

Syllabi are contracts and it's your responsibility to read them.

Drop the class.

Otherwise, show up when you're supposed to.

This type of behavior would get you kicked out of medical school.

Reactions: 25 users
Hold very still because I'm going to smack sense into you. You'll feel some slight pressure.

So you were being irresponsible, and poor at time mgt, and the Professor should bend the rules just for you?

Drop the class.

Otherwise, show up when you're supposed to.

This type of behavior would get you kicked out of medical school.

You are right Goro. I am very ashamed.

I will attend all but one class until the semester ends and will do everything the professor says. But I have already missed more than the maximum or I am very close. Even if I have only missed 12 I need to miss one more in 2 weeks. I cannot escape that one miss in 2 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a 75%. This is not good.
Just drop the class.
And go see your school's learning or education center for tips on being a better student.

This is not a science class and is very early morning. I did not turn in homework or do quiz on some of the days I've missed. That is why my grade is so low.

I can still end class A but probably have B or B- if he does not fail me for not attending.

What part of "responsibility" are you not understanding?

You're not in high school anymore.

This is not a science class and is very early morning. I did not turn in homework or do quiz on some of the days I've missed. That is why my grade is so low.

I can still end class A but probably have B or B- if he does not fail me for not attending.

Reactions: 11 users
How badly you screwed up aside, did the class take attendance every single day or something? There were attendance policies at my school too but no professor ever checked. There was one TA who'd occasionally pass around a sign in sheet but they didn't keep that up too long either.

Reactions: 1 user

You're missing the point. You can be sorry all you want, but you made the mistake knowingly (sorry, I don't accept ignorance of the syllabus as a valid excuse when it is posted online probably and was definitely given to you).

It isn't worth risking the "B or B-" when you're going to fail. There is a policy. You can be ashamed all you want, but you didn't follow the policy. Withdraw and listen to the people on this board who are trying to be sensible with you.

Reactions: 3 users
What part of "responsibility" are you not understanding?

You're not in high school anymore.

Okay, Goro I will talk with professor and we will decide if I need to drop or not.

How badly you screwed up aside, did the class take attendance every single day or something? There were attendance policies at my school too but no professor ever checked. There was one TA who'd occasionally pass around a sign in sheet but they didn't keep that up too long either.

He takes attendance on paper every day, but he has not checked total yet. I have missed somewhere between 11-13 and I have to miss one more class in 2 weeks that I cannot change. Maximum missed class is 12.

If I have missed maximum, will he allow me to miss one more class in 2 weeks that would put me over maximum? Is this reasonable to ask?

If I have missed maximum, will he allow me to miss one more class in 2 weeks that would put me over maximum? Is this reasonable to ask?
NO.

I have to go. Thank you for help.

You've missed 13 classes and it's only the end of October. You are going to miss one more for sure and with your record you will most likely miss more.. You have a 75%. ( Is that a D?). You need to drop the class right now . You are not a special snowflake and if everyone else is playing by the rules you need to do that too. Grow up and accept responsibility for your actions.

Somebody quick!

Call
lol.JPG

In all seriousness OP, you've missed way too many days at this point. Missing an entire week to study for another class probably wasn't the greatest decision you've made (second to not even reading the syllabus). Drop, live to fight another day, and read the syllabus next time! Maybe this professor will show you some leniency (you probably don't deserve)...good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
The fact you can withdraw should be considered a gift because you are going to end up with a big fat F otherwise. Learn from this, nobody's chances are shot because of 1 W.

Oh how this topic brought me back to when I was 22, naive, though I ruled the world... thought I could make anyone do what I wanted.

My English Lit prof told me if I missed one more day, he'd flunk me for the quarter. Seriously.

The next day - I @#th you not - my only grandparent died. 150 miles away. She was the only g-parent I'd ever known and she was gone.

I missed class; begged not to get an F. Showed him the obituary, wrote a paper while gone. He said he would not flunk me. He didn't.

D+ at your service. Thank God that was 30 years ago (or so). Don't try to provoke professors

What did I learn from that? Go to class. Get A's. Do the work. Don't make excuses. Don't be a drunken fool. Don't be anything that creates risk. Had I been regularly attending classes, doing the work, doing what I do NOW; that absence would not have been an issue.

I deserved an F and am thankful for the D+ (though not so thankful when inputting on AMCAS :D )

Reactions: 5 users
I think being able to miss 3 weeks of class is quite generous. Most policies limit up to two weeks. Sometimes only 1 if your professor has a huge stick up their ass.

Reactions: 2 users
Drop the ****ing class oh my good God

Reactions: 2 users
You are allowed to miss 12 classes? Wtf?

For my Gen Chem II class I only went to the first day, 3 test dates, the labs, and finals, and ended up with a B+. Attendance policies are stupid, but if a class/syllabus has one you need to be responsible for your actions.

That is a lot of class to miss. You may stand a chance with a documented medical excuse but I'm guessing that withdrawing is your best option.
I think the professor will ask for medical evidence and he will be found wanting... He should rather be honest and explain things to the professor. After he's a human being and may consider your issues...other than that just withdraw

Sent from my TECNO-J7 using Tapatalk

You missed 13 classes.... you don't need an MD to know that's horrendous at any stage of your education. Skipping because of a back strain and studying for other classes? ..... would you like some cheese with your whine? Unless you couldn't physically move to the classroom ... you get your a%$ to class.

Sometimes, I am behind in class and ashamed to come to class because he asks question in class and I don't know the answer.

But I can attend all remaining classes except for one until the semester ends.

If you didn't study then obviously you wouldn't know the answer.... but because you don't know in your tiny mind that means its appropriate to get further behind?

AND YOU STILL ANTICIPATE MISSING MORE CLASSES? Please are you a student or a drop-out?

Wait so because it's not a science class it gives you the excuse to skip class... and very early morning???????? boohoo my tiny violin strings broke trying to play it for you.

Are you intentionally dense?

Please drop the course for your professor's sake. He/She shouldn't have the misfortune to teach irresponsible students like yourself.

This is not a science class and is very early morning. I did not turn in homework or do quiz on some of the days I've missed.

Oh my- I missed this entirely. So because it is not a science class, it is very early in the morning, you did not turn in homework or do quizzes on some of the days you missed and you have missed 13 classes you think the teacher should give you a great big pass? What happens if you have a critical patient and it's very early and you haven't checked lab results? Drop the class, apologize to the teacher and show some self respect.
I'm thinking this might be a troll post. Nobody can be this clueless

Eh, the whole idea of attendance policies in university is stupid. We are adults not children. If we want to attend, we will.
With that said, if it exists and you neglect it.. it is your fault.

And for the people that are crying about how missing 13 classes is a big deal.. it really isn't. People learn differently. I don't learn from professors. My mind drifts within seconds and I end up missing most of it. That's the beauty of the online recordings. I get to pace it accordingly and go back when I miss something. For those of you who can actually bare being in a class for longer than 5 minutes, congratulations you have it easy.

Another way I study is through reading the book and understanding the content by myself. The professor is really unimportant to my learning, the only important part is the exam deadlines that force me to make sure I learn. As for "gaofeng dineng", it really isn't low ability unless you're just memorizing.

My point is, I don't really get why he's being attacked so vehemently. Sure he's immature, but that's no reason to be aggressive. Just recommend he drops because a C won't look good and leave it at that.

I think most people are reacting the way we are because OP seems to think that he can disregard rules without consequences, then asks for our absolution with he is faced with the consequences. Attendance policy support or not, he did not follow "the rules" and does not want to face his consequences.

Early morning, four days a week, I am assuming foreign language class. It is not a class to miss.

I have no disagreement about being responsible/this particular case/thread/etc. But this is BS. Professors change syllabi all the time.

The strong reactions in this thread are a little odd. It's like the OP personally offended some of you.

I do agree with one of the posters that suggested this might be a language class because of the early start and frequency. If that is the case, as some of my fellow peers have so emphatically emphasized, skipping those kind of classes is not advisable - attendance policy or no attendance policy. Even if that weren't the case, try not to skip anymore. Now you're aware of the attendance policy so you really don't have any more excuses (unless this personal reason to miss one more is super inflexible schedule-wise and in dire need of your personal attention).

Anyway, how many of the missed classes were due to injury? I think it's possible to save yourself if you can get those days to be excused and if you are honest to yourself about how quickly you can catch up with the class (I'm assuming you're way behind). The 75% is keeping you in the game.

Keep the professor up to date. The last thing you want to do is avoid the professor entirely, even if you're embarrassed, lest he/she thinks you just don't care AT ALL.

Good luck, OP. Tell us how it went.

The strong reactions in this thread are a little odd. It's like the OP personally offended some of you.

If OP's post was about how he missed 3 days due to injury and was now at risk of failing because of a zero-tolerance attendance policy, I would truly feel for him and be on his side.

However, the story also includes not reading the syllabus, skipping class because it's early, skipping class because of other classes, not doing homework, and not communicating with the professor sometime between the injury absences and hitting the magic number twelve. My sympathy doesn't stretch quite that far.

Edit: fixed a typo