Convincing A DO Of What An MD Is All About

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CorpuSpongiosum

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am going to be a fourth generation osteopath in my family. My great-great grandfather was a student of AT Still's. Family legend has it that A.T. Still stole the idea of lymphatics from him. Anyway back to the point at hand, my dad is a Family Practitioner having two offices in Western PA and Eastern Ohio.

He works only with DO's and refers only to DO's. He is married to a DO, my mom. And has 2 DO sisters and one DO brother; my aunts and unlce.

His life is literally all about DO's, the AOA, the NBOME and the JAOA. Our dog is named Still, our cat Sutherland and our gold fish Kirksville.

Anyway, recently I started dating a girl who is second year at the University of Pittsburgh. I told him that she is a physician. He said, "great, let's see her treat a right on right sacral shear." When I told him she doesn't use her hands to treat, nor has she ever learned to use her hands, he was appalled and almost threw me out of the house after storming away from the dinner table in disgust.

Please help me. My love life, family life and osteopathic life are in turmoil.

How can I explain to my dad that MD's are doctors too?

Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What a tough spot to be in.

If she doesn't know how to do any manipulation with her hands, you're going to get bored with her in a hurry.

Members don't see this ad :)
A tough spot would be an understatement. If your love life were further along, I would threaten that his grandkids will only go to allopathic schools if he doesn't learn to open his mind.

Last edited:
This, my friends, is what we in the business refer to as a "reverse post"

They are fun.

Hi Everyone,

I am going to be a fourth generation osteopath in my family. My great-great grandfather was a student of AT Still's. Family legend has it that A.T. Still stole the idea of lymphatics from him. Anyway back to the point at hand, my dad is a Family Practitioner having two offices in Western PA and Eastern Ohio.

He works only with DO's and refers only to DO's. He is married to a DO, my mom. And has 2 DO sisters and one DO brother; my aunts and unlce.

His life is literally all about DO's, the AOA, the NBOME and the JAOA. Our dog is named Still, our cat Sutherland and our gold fish Kirksville.

Anyway, recently I started dating a girl who is second year at the University of Pittsburgh. I told him that she is a physician. He said, "great, let's see her treat a right on right sacral shear." When I told him she doesn't use her hands to treat, nor has she ever learned to use her hands, he was appalled and almost threw me out of the house after storming away from the dinner table in disgust.

Thanks everyone.

Pure Genius!! :D

Hi Everyone,

Thanks everyone.

Nice work. You put in the time and you nailed it. :laugh:

Best made up thread ever!!! By far!!! Freaking hilarious!!!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks everyone.

Would your name be Esper? :laugh:

I don't expect you to answer that, just curious

Your story kind of reminds me of the old claymation Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer Movie where the elf decides he wants to be a dentist. Its your life, your father will accept it eventually and get over it. If not, then he is being unreasonable.

fry-see-what-you-did-there.jpg