Cook County elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quagmire223

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I might have an opportunity to do Trauma Surgery at Cook County. Anyone know where are good cheapish places to stay near there for a month?

Members don't see this ad.

also, if I wanted electives related to EM (I've already done EM), would it be more useful to do a trauma surgery elective, or a Peds EM elective? I'd be more interested in trauma surgery but ultimately I'd just want to do general EM and the Peds EM elective might be more convenient (local). Thanks for thoughts.

also, if I wanted electives related to EM (I've already done EM), would it be more useful to do a trauma surgery elective, or a Peds EM elective? I'd be more interested in trauma surgery but ultimately I'd just want to do general EM and the Peds EM elective might be more convenient (local). Thanks for thoughts.

I'm presuming that you are an MS3, planning for next year. From an education viewpoint, it doesn't really matter. You'll get what you need during residency.

From the match point of view, I recommend at least one off campus rotation at another academic EM program. Could be either general EM or Peds EM.

From the enhancing you life point of view, I recommend taking something you'd never do during the residency that might interest you. overseas is good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. What about if I've done one elective already at a Level II center, academic. I was shooting for a Level 1 center elective but that sort of fell through. So now I'm trying to search for another related elective. In terms of enhancing an EM application (man, I hate sucky uppy crap!), would you recommend Peds EM over trauma surgery, or does it matter? Again, thanks. A little clueless here.

if you're a M3 planning for your M4 year, all you need is two EM rotations total (at least one should be at a place with a EM residency). peds EM/trauma really isnt that important. it can get you a letter, but seriously, im with BKN (who's a PD), travel, do something, anything, that you cant do during residency. you'll have plenty of trauma, and peds EM during your residency. plus during apps, people like to talk about meaningful travel experiences much more then more "trauma" stories/.

great, thanks for your opinions! I'm an IMG (US citizen), which is why the eagerness. Think I have the travel / experiences covered :). It's the core things that I need to take care of!

if you're a M3 planning for your M4 year, all you need is two EM rotations total (at least one should be at a place with a EM residency). peds EM/trauma really isnt that important. it can get you a letter, but seriously, im with BKN (who's a PD), travel, do something, anything, that you cant do during residency. you'll have plenty of trauma, and peds EM during your residency. plus during apps, people like to talk about meaningful travel experiences much more then more "trauma" stories/.

hello there,
Can anyone tell me how is cooks county for a peds elective? anyone with prior experience?

Former County Grad- Graduated a few yrs ago
County is an awesome residency program with amazing faculty. That being said the Peds ER sucks. Generally lower volume, few really sick kids (though I don't think any facility has lots of sick kids). The faculty is mostly Office Based Pediatricians that are moonlighting. Generally, they can handle moderately bad asthma, fevers, abdominal pain, but they are not so great with true emergencies. Overnight, they have one of the adult ED doctors but they are covering multiple areas of the ER and typically are in the Peds area for a few minutes at a time. You won't be able to interact with County attendings that will help you get an interview or whatnot.
Things may have changed but that's how it used to be.
Again, for residency County is awesome as most of our Peds ED training is at Children's Memorial or Comer (which is a particularly good site) or Community ER sites. For a student rotation I wouldn't recommend it.
I think the Trauma elective is good. There's a lot of scut (taking pts to CT and the like), but a lot to do also (lots of lacs to be sewn and lots of sick ICU patients).
Tox at UIC/County is a very chill elective but you end up learning a lot. Fills up quickly. Big toxicology names: Erikson, Aks, Bryant among others.

I'm a current Cook County Resident, nothing has changed from the previous post. The residency is awesome and our adult ED is a great learning/training place, but I would not do a student rotation in the Peds ED. Still low acuity, low volume and surprisingly not that many peds patients, a lot of 18-24 year olds. Still staffed by pediatricians none of whom are officially involved in the EM residency and aren't involved in the interview/ranking process for our residency. I just think there are much better opportunities for 4th rotations out there.

We get much better pediatric experiences rotating through Comer and Children's hospital along with any of the kids that come into the community EDs we rotate through.

As for cheaper places to live in Chicago, the neighborhood right around the hospital should probably have some sublets available, and I know some of the medicine residents that live in the area take in students sometimes. When I was a MS4 doing a visiting rotation, I stayed in Pilsen, pretty close and cheap, I lived in a shared artist studio for $300 for the month...no privacy, but I had a clean bed and a safe place, so I didn't care.

I'm a current Cook County Resident, nothing has changed from the previous post. The residency is awesome and our adult ED is a great learning/training place, but I would not do a student rotation in the Peds ED. Still low acuity, low volume and surprisingly not that many peds patients, a lot of 18-24 year olds. Still staffed by pediatricians none of whom are officially involved in the EM residency and aren't involved in the interview/ranking process for our residency. I just think there are much better opportunities for 4th rotations out there.

We get much better pediatric experiences rotating through Comer and Children's hospital along with any of the kids that come into the community EDs we rotate through.

As for cheaper places to live in Chicago, the neighborhood right around the hospital should probably have some sublets available, and I know some of the medicine residents that live in the area take in students sometimes. When I was a MS4 doing a visiting rotation, I stayed in Pilsen, pretty close and cheap, I lived in a shared artist studio for $300 for the month...no privacy, but I had a clean bed and a safe place, so I didn't care.
I hv been accepted for a peds cardio elective in beginning of 2013. How good is the elective at Cooks ? Do you get to learn? Also, is it an counted as an official elective like the rest. Has anyone has prior elective experience there? I m an IMG and eager to know more about Cooks County. & about housing too.
Thanks so much:)

I hv been accepted for a peds cardio elective in beginning of 2013. How good is the elective at Cooks ? Do you get to learn? Also, is it an counted as an official elective like the rest. Has anyone has prior elective experience there? I m an IMG and eager to know more about Cooks County. & about housing too.
Thanks so much:)