cook county, now PGY1-4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted52758

Cook County is making the move to a PGY 1-4 program, starting with this upcoming entry class of 2008. Our program plans to take 8 people for the categorical pathway, and seven people for the Advanced PGY 2-4 pathway. The following year, we should be taking 15 PGY-1's per year.

if you have any questions, feel free to PM me

Members don't see this ad.

so they'll be matching both programs? currently on ERAS there is an option for either "advanced" or "physician only". I'm guessing the latter is the 1-4 program? Can we apply to both? Sorry, this just seems a bit confusing.

you can apply to both. i believe the advanced position # is for the 2-4 positions, and the physician only is for the 1-4. i could be wrong about this, as I am a resident, and not involved in that aspect of recruitment.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this made an already great program an even better one. Too bad this happened a year after I applied. I loved rotating there. Aside from not wanting to stay in Chicago (after 5 years there), the fact that it was a 2-4 was a minor reason for me not ranking it 1. One of the best faculties I've had the pleasure to work with.

I just called Cook County ED Residency, and this was said to be false--was the person on the phone wrong?

I just called Cook County ED Residency, and this was said to be false--was the person on the phone wrong?

Very likely since the person that started this thread is one of the residents at Cook County.

all of these are very new changes, that are being announced. but yes, the person on the phone is misinformed. everything is being hammered out, but we got the word from our "state of the residency" address, at our retreat.

Speaking of misinformation, FYI EMRAmatch.org is pretty out-of-date. They must be having some internal problems, because I've been personally trying to update the information for GW for the last 3 months with no success. Now my update is out-of-date. :(

Would this be the place to ask about student rotations? Does the addition of PGY-1 EM interns have any effect on the number or frequency of student rotation spots?

I used to work at a 1-3 academic center, and it seemed as though they lightened up on students early in the year, and then got kind of heavy later on (like, 5 or 6 students in a department with 50-some beds)

Would this be the place to ask about student rotations? Does the addition of PGY-1 EM interns have any effect on the number or frequency of student rotation spots?

I used to work at a 1-3 academic center, and it seemed as though they lightened up on students early in the year, and then got kind of heavy later on (like, 5 or 6 students in a department with 50-some beds)

no i dont think it would have any effect on the amount of students we take. but again, im probably speaking outside of my authority.

This is a change for the better. I dont see why someone would choose a 2-4 if they could do a 1-4 or 1-3. Seems to make little sense to me.

Good change and I will echo. Cook county is a solid program.

This is a change for the better. I dont see why someone would choose a 2-4 if they could do a 1-4 or 1-3. Seems to make little sense to me.

Good change and I will echo. Cook county is a solid program.

Not to get too defensive, but there are those of us who chose to go to 2-4 programs that could have gone elsewhere. I was a relatively competitive applicant who ranked my home program which is a 2-4 number one over several other very competitive 1-3 programs. I had lots of reasons for doing so including: great faculty, top-notch physical facilities, good support staff, a strong medical center surrounding the program making off-service rotations stronger, great residents, and last but not least I have a wife and a daughter and both sets of grandparents within 3 hours. That said all things being equal I would have preferred the program to be a 1-3, but in the end the 2-4 format didn't prevent me from coming here.