Cookie Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matt0751

Shocked at Acceptance
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how everywhere else works but U. South Carolina had one part of the interview process I was not prepared for.

Lunch with Med Students, Speech by head of admissions, two interviews, then cookie time.

My second interviewer told me that "cookie time" is really speed dating for the admissions committee. You have right at 5 minutes to meet and make a personal impression on the rest of the committee... about 20-25. It was awful, I am bad at getting out of long winded conversations and I had a leach that would just follow me around and steal my conversations. She was a well endowed Blonde applicant and for some reason all these old docs prefered to talk to her over me. Go figure.

Do other schools put people through this part?

Members don't see this ad.

Matt0751 said:
I'm not sure how everywhere else works but U. South Carolina had one part of the interview process I was not prepared for.

Lunch with Med Students, Speech by head of admissions, two interviews, then cookie time.

My second interviewer told me that "cookie time" is really speed dating for the admissions committee. You have right at 5 minutes to meet and make a personal impression on the rest of the committee... about 20-25. It was awful, I am bad at getting out of long winded conversations and I had a leach that would just follow me around and still my conversations. She was a well endowed Blonde applicant and for some reason all these old docs prefered to talk to her over me. Go figure.

Do other schools put people through this part?

yeah man...

6 people were in my group that interviewed on the same day i did... i was the ONLY GUY... the rest were obviously girls...

when two voting members of the adcom came in, i was the odd one out.

Matt0751 said:
My second interviewer told me that "cookie time" is really speed dating for the admissions committee.
I thought that I knew every bad thing that might happen to me on interview day - and I am sure glad nobody ever told me about "cookie time." That's just wrong. I'd have felt like a show pony on a merry-go-round. What on Earth can you talk about in five minutes besides the weather and what a "fabulous time" you're having in your interviews?? After my interview, I could see in a conference room where the entire admissions committee was gathering for a luncheon. I gave 'em my best smile and a very slight bow of the head, and got the heck outta there as the door was closing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I managed 3 good covos in that time, 2 were about basket ball. Then the Med students came in to take us on a tour of the campus while the admissions committee had a meeting. We passed by their room at least 3 times... every time my guide was like "and there is the room where they are deciding if you are good enough".... That didnt add to the tension much.

Were there actually cookies to eat at least?

Actually the cookies were great! Another draw back, I was at the cookie table making sure I got some, while other people were working the room like a stripper looking for a lap dance client.

When the committee left, all the other med students swarmed the lounge and ate all the cookies. Apparently first years can smell sugar and chocolate across campus.

dammit i thought this thread was actually about cookies :(

Matt0751 said:
Actually the cookies were great! Another draw back, I was at the cookie table making sure I got some, while other people were working the room like a stripper looking for a lap dance client.

When the committee left, all the other med students swarmed the lounge and ate all the cookies. Apparently first years can smell sugar and chocolate across campus.

At one of my interviews, there was a plate of donuts where everyone was hanging around in the admissions office which all of the applicants were terrified to touch for some reason- because the head of admissions was standing around chatting everyone up. My friend and I just sat there eating donuts. It was great. Later, we both got in.

unfrozencaveman said:
At one of my interviews, there was a plate of donuts where everyone was hanging around in the admissions office which all of the applicants were terrified to touch for some reason- because the head of admissions was standing around chatting everyone up. My friend and I just sat there eating donuts. It was great. Later, we both got in.
Ha ha, that had to be at Miami. :smuggrin: I can just picture you and her sitting there chowing down on all the donuts. :p

QofQuimica said:
Ha ha, that had to be at Miami. :smuggrin: I can just picture you and her sitting there chowing down on all the donuts. :p

Hinkley loves munchkins.

Matt0751 said:

PS, Matt, I have shamelessly stolen your Zoidburg picture for my IM. Priceless.

At Creighton they have the Donut Room with coffee, juice, donuts and bagels. It is a holding tank for applicants to wait prior to their interview. Like a previous post said, the M1's can smell the sugar and all came rushing down.

the donuts were good, but I am not sure how to take the jesture of my interviewer licking his thumb and removing cake donut from under my lower lip.

gdbaby said:
At Creighton they have the Donut Room with coffee, juice, donuts and bagels. It is a holding tank for applicants to wait prior to their interview. Like a previous post said, the M1's can smell the sugar and all came rushing down.

the donuts were good, but I am not sure how to take the jesture of my interviewer licking his thumb and removing cake donut from under my lower lip.

HAHAHA...that depends, did he eat it?

gdbaby said:

I thought the powdered sugar all over my suit gave me an air of confidence.

I don't eat donuts, even if I'm not at interviews. They're just not worth the calories and they make me sick to my stomach. But I would totally eat chocolate chip cookies at an interview or not at an interview, if they were chewy and didn't have nuts. :D

*BUMP*

i have an interview at the university of south carolina coming up soon and i was wondering if anyone has interviewed there recently.

were you from SC or out of state? is an interview in march for a waitlist spot? any advice on where to stay if you were (or any advice in general)?