Cooking Challenge v3.0: Olympics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I made vague resolutions to get back on this wagon.

No picture, but I've made shakshuka twice in the last week - something I've ordered and eaten before, but never made. Stuff's good, yo. Close enough to "new to me" for the last week's theme.

And now, to figure out something spicy. :D

Members don't see this ad.

I pretty much make everything that's supposed to be 'mildly spicy' super spicy by like, eyeballing the red pepper flakes or sriracha. Then it burns the heck out of me.

But hey, still tasty.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I pretty much make everything that's supposed to be 'mildly spicy' super spicy by like, eyeballing the red pepper flakes or sriracha. Then it burns the heck out of me.

But hey, still tasty.
This is me as well. Oh it calls for a teaspoon? *dumps in two tablespoons* perfect!

And now, to figure out something spicy. :D

FjHPk0q.jpg

Spicy tofu sushi bowls! Kind of a combo of this and this. Except way more sriracha and ginger in the mayo mixture.

On reddit there was a discussion about doing "spiced" recipes for the theme; so gingery things, or pepper, or whatever. Just taking inspiration from the theme idea is what's important. :)
Lawl I can barely do pepper
Chipotle usually is even too spicy for me and I end up having to rinse a bunch of it off

Imma maybe make something pumpkin pie-y then bc spices
(If I have time...)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is me as well. Oh it calls for a teaspoon? *dumps in two tablespoons* perfect!
It's always fun when you take a bite and you're like HOLY **** and your eyes start watering and people stare at you and you're like hey, this is good! And they're like... "Are you okay?"

"My face feels like it's burning off, but these noodles are delicious!"

Story of my life.

It's always fun when you take a bite and you're like HOLY **** and your eyes start watering and people stare at you and you're like hey, this is good! And they're like... "Are you okay?"

"My face feels like it's burning off, but these noodles are delicious!"

Story of my life.
Pls no

I've somehow missed seeing updates on this thread, but tonights crock pot meal fits the theme! No pictures because it looks like poop but it's super yummy

Chorizo chili -
-1 lb spicy chorizo, sauteed with black pepper, onion and garlic.
-1 jar of roasted red peppers
-1 jar pimiento peppers
-1 can diced tomatoes with the juice
-1 cup of carmelized onions
-1 small can corn
1 clove crushed garlic
2 bottles of beer (I used a blue moon and a corona)
cumin, chili powder and a dash of cinnamon
enough red kidney and navy beans to fill the rest of the crock pot

Served with cornbread, cheddar cheese, sour cream and avocado.

Reactions: 1 users
Ear pasta.JPG

(Picture taken before the addition of hot sauce)

Genny's Ear Goo (aka spicy carbonara)

1. Cook oricchiette (little ears) pasta according to package directions
2. Cut up 2 slices of uncooked bacon using scissors because I am too lazy to crumble bacon after cooking.
3. Cook bacon in a skillet with garlic and green onions.
4. Realize you forgot to buy peas.
5. Substitute brussels sprouts. Cut up brussels sprouts into bacon-sized pieces even though it will gross everyone out and they'll all think I'm obsessed with brussels sprouts. (True.)
6. Add peas brussels sprouts to skillet with bacon and onion.
7. Get distracted by cat fight, come back to bacon stuck to bottom of skillet because I didn't use the nonstick one.
8. Deglaze pan with water to unstick the bacon.
9. Add a lil bit of flour to thicken sauce.
10. Remove from heat source and add enough cream. How much? Eh, that looks like enough.
11. Add sauce to pasta.
12. Take picture with begging dog before adding as much Tabasco/La cholula/sriracha/punishment of choice as you can handle.

Reactions: 2 users
This is questionably actually particularly Portugese at this point... more like tex mex version of Mexican migas, but "inspired" is totally a thing. :p

Migas!

qyZFMLP.jpg

Kinda this recipe.

Last edited:
ISO crock pot recipes***! (Preferably ones that can sit ~10 hours until I can get home.) used my crock pot for the first time since I bought it a year and a half ago, and it’s lovely. I made an awesome pork roast!

(Oh and I can’t eat seafood/ shellfish, and I’m picky about practically everything else. :laugh:)

*** Best recipe wins my semieternal gratitude and never ending love

ISO crock pot recipes***! (Preferably ones that can sit ~10 hours until I can get home.) used my crock pot for the first time since I bought it a year and a half ago, and it’s lovely. I made an awesome pork roast!

(Oh and I can’t eat seafood/ shellfish, and I’m picky about practically everything else. :laugh:)

*** Best recipe wins my semieternal gratitude and never ending love
I can’t vouch for any of these because all the recipes I usually use are more like 5-6 hours but here’s some longer ones
20 ALL DAY Slow Cooker Recipes - Recipes That Crock!

Ones that are less time (but tbh I don’t think would do too badly a bit longer) are
Fiesta Chicken (literally one of my favorite things and also makes a great chip dip :laugh:)

Potato Soup (I deeeeeefinitely use a hell of a lot of extra potatoes so that I can have the soup be thick with a bunch mashed into it AND still chunky bc I’m all about potato chunks)

And there was a pork tenderloin recipe that I can’t find online that sounds like it’s the same but this one sounds pretty similar? Except my pork had seasoning on the meat and the sauce I don’t remember having mustard in. I’ll try and see if I can find the cookbook it’s in but I think it might be in Florida. This one SAYS it supposedly takes 8 hours but I don’t remember mine actually taking that long.

I started Olympic week a day early. Olympics mean training, which means eating healthy, which means using cauliflower in place of carbs, right?

I made cauliflower grilled cheese with this recipe: Cauliflower Crusted Grilled Cheese Sandwiches - Kirbie's Cravings

1DF56998-498A-4B4E-B5F8-6F716FAE0EC2.jpeg
I really liked it; it had a nuttier flavor than regular bread. The recipe’s cook times are way too long though. I had to shorten the microwave drying and the time in the oven.

jUikLo6.jpg

For poaching I made this, only kinda cooked it like shakshuka. And topped it with more green stuff. It was delicious, and then I made the leftover lentils into soup. :p