Cooking Challenge v3.0: Olympics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Am I allowed to just post beer(...s) for Oktoberfest? :thinking:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Am I allowed to just post beer(...s) for Oktoberfest? :thinking:
It doesn't have to be super detailed, difficult or super on topic - be creative, the point is to just get you trying out some new things! Your mind is your limit, I'll never yell at anyone for being off-theme. :D (Also, drinks, desserts, barely food related items are all acceptable... just try something new).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You missed Oktoberfest week :oops:
Oh heck yeah. Did you see what this week’s challenge is???

SALT.

SKI THIS IS OUR WEEK.

PastelWanHind.gif

Aoazq.gif

YNER3_s-200x150.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Food Challenge: SALT.

Raw Steaks on Charcoal Grill: Top Sirloin, Tri Tip and Flat Iron Steak Sprinkled with Two Types of Seasoned SALT.

Raw Steaks with Seasoned Salt.jpg

Cooked Steaks Off the Grill (medium-rare). We already ate the Top Sirloin Steak.

steaks.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
IMG_2020.JPG
Salty Balls and Thighs:
Heat peanut oil in skillet.
Cut chicken thighs into bite-size pieces and toss with pink Himalayan SALT.
Saute chicken thighs until browned.
Cut fresh brussels sprouts into quarters.
Add brussels sprouts to skillet and cook until just green.
(usually I leave them raw, but decided I wanted a little less crunch.)

View attachment 224373
Salty Balls and Thighs:
Heat peanut oil in skillet.
Cut chicken thighs into bite-size pieces and toss with pink Himalayan SALT.
Saute chicken thighs until browned.
Cut fresh brussels sprouts into quarters.
Add brussels sprouts to skillet and cook until just green.
(usually I leave them raw, but decided I wanted a little less crunch.)
The recipe name made me laugh, so thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
No no, you just name your dishes funny things :laugh:
I was going to make Sweaty Salty Balls and Thighs tonight (add garlic and cumin), but I accidentally grabbed the curry instead of cumin. So now it's Curried Salty Balls and Thighs, which doesn't quiet have the same ring to it but is still very tasty.

Reactions: 4 users
Apparently this week's theme according to Reddit is Handheld Foods, but I just made pancakes for dinner. Pancakes aren't something I ever really eat but for some reason I woke up from a nap craving them. I made a little bacon too, since it was on sale at Publix this week.

I had a tuna fish sandwich. That means hubby made dinner. I would have made tuna melts. (Love cheese!)

Made avocado banana chocolate chip muffins. They're okay. What I've learned is that I suck at making muffins. Followed the instructions but they're a little on the dry side. Not sure if it's cause I overmixed,under mixed (I don't have a blender so had to handmash the avocado), overbaked or if they just need more honey. They're edible though.

No pics but I made spicy chicken/squash tostadas last night!
It was originally a fancy blue apron recipe but ain’t nobody got time for that, so I took their ingredients and did my own thing

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Made avocado banana chocolate chip muffins. They're okay. What I've learned is that I suck at making muffins. Followed the instructions but they're a little on the dry side. Not sure if it's cause I overmixed,under mixed (I don't have a blender so had to handmash the avocado), overbaked or if they just need more honey. They're edible though.
I think overmixing and overbaking are two of the top reasons why muffins get sad. Overmixing usually makes them more dense and not light and floofy though versus too dry, but overbaking definitely can lead to some sad, dry muffins. I always bake things for a little less than the recipe time and start checking them with a toothpick

I have the insides for handheld pot pies (I'm blanking on the cute British term) alll done as of last night. Refrigerating and baking tonight, aren't y'all proud of me actually doing my own challenges? ;)

Reactions: 2 users
I have the insides for handheld pot pies (I'm blanking on the cute British term) alll done as of last night. Refrigerating and baking tonight, aren't y'all proud of me actually doing my own challenges? ;)

Do you mean pasties, like Cornish pasties? I love making those

if anyone wants blue apron to try, I have boxes. I have to say...it's much easier than me trying to meal plan

I might even start participating in this thread now that we cook almost every night (instead of making easy food like sandwiches or hot dogs when we get particularly lazy)

I had a tuna fish sandwich. That means hubby made dinner. I would have made tuna melts. (Love cheese!)
Literally exact same
But I was promised a tuna melt and what I was handed was not a melt, so I was very confused.

I also have free Blue Apron box codes I can send people, if dy runs out! Or I can send you a code for $40 off your first Hello Fresh delivery (normal cost is $60 for 3 meals for 2 people). I like both companies, Blue Apron seems to have better quality produce, but Hello Fresh's recipes tend to be less out there, which is nice sometimes.

I think overmixing and overbaking are two of the top reasons why muffins get sad. Overmixing usually makes them more dense and not light and floofy though versus too dry, but overbaking definitely can lead to some sad, dry muffins. I always bake things for a little less than the recipe time and start checking them with a toothpick

But how are you supposed to mix in all the flour without overmixing??? And i definitely should just start setting the timer for earlier. I've been burned before by that one and should know better.

But how are you supposed to mix in all the flour without overmixing??? And i definitely should just start setting the timer for earlier. I've been burned before by that one and should know better.
Usually you just mix until the big clumps are gone, little ones are okay.

Or if you really don't want clumps, you can add all your dry ingredients to a sifter (or mesh strainer if you don't have one) and sift them in. No clumps and should make them fluffier.

MXHxtW1.jpg

Look guys, I did a thing!

I, well, looked at this recipe while making them. But store bought crusts, frozen veggies, fake beef chunks and really it was just more inspiration than a real followed recipe. :p

Reactions: 6 users
This week is pumpkin. I have two adorable little acorn squashes staring at me from my produce box and I think those will count, right? :)

Wut? Not sure how I feel about the sounds of that.
Have you never had pumpkin in savory stuff? It's basically like a tomato based ziti, but instead of a tomato sauce mixed with the ricotta, it's a pumpkin base seasoned with garlic, sage, thyme and some other spices. It's super good!

Have you never had pumpkin in savory stuff? It's basically like a tomato based ziti, but instead of a tomato sauce mixed with the ricotta, it's a pumpkin base seasoned with garlic, sage, thyme and some other spices. It's super good!
Ok, I can see that. My first thought was that it was a pumpkin and tomato sauce and that sounded weird. I have a squash/leek lasagna recipe that is pretty good, and I could see them being similar.

Ok, I can see that. My first thought was that it was a pumpkin and tomato sauce and that sounded weird. I have a squash/leek lasagna recipe that is pretty good, and I could see them being similar.
Oh god, no. Tomato and pumpkin mixed sounds horrid :confused:

Ooh, I got stuff yesterday to make pumpkin muffins, I might actually participate in a theme for once!

Oh god, no. Tomato and pumpkin mixed sounds horrid :confused:

Pumpkin spice maybe. Pumpkin is mostly flavorless cellulose with a lot of beta carotene in the mix. Basically a fiber sponge that takes on the flavor of everything else around it. This I learned, eating my way through the pumpkin foods at the local pumpkin festival.